Two Pakistani swimmers allowed to compete in OlympicsJune 9th, 2012 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 9 (IANS) Two Pakistani swimmers have been allowed to feature in the upcoming London Olympics.
The official of the Pakistan Swimming Federation ((PSF) told Xinhua Saturday that the world swimming organisation FINA had sent them the confirmation of the two Pakistani swimmers’ inclusion at the London Games.
The FINA selected female Anum Bandey and male Israr Hussain on the basis of their performance in the World Championships in Shanghai last year.
The selection was made against the berths reserved for countries whose athletes failed to qualify for the Olympics scheduled for July 27-Aug 12.
Hussain, who recorded 57.69 seconds in the Shanghai, will compete in the 100-metre freestyle.
Bandey, who set a new national record of five minutes and 37.11 seconds, will participate in the 400m individual medley, Xinhua reported.
Bandey said she would try to improve the record of her predecessor Kiran Khan, who represented Pakistan at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and secured 45th position among 198 swimmers in the competition.
Bandey is the third Pakistani female swimmer to appear at the Olympics after Khan and Rubab Raza.
- Gagan sole Indian representative in swimming at London - Jul 07, 2012
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: South Korea's Park reinstated for final after disqualified (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps wins 200m freestyle at US Olympic trials - Jun 28, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Dana Vollmer sets world record in women's 100m butterfly - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Indian swimmer Khade qualifies for 2012 Olympics - Jul 27, 2011
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, berths, female swimmer, fina, five minutes, hussain, individual medley, kiran, london games, london olympics, metre freestyle, olympics, predecessor, psf, qualify for the olympics, rubab raza, shanghai, swimmers, world championships, xinhua