Two CWG gold medallists in weightlifting squad for Asian GamesOctober 21st, 2010 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 21 (IANS) The Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWLF) Thursday announced a 13-member squad, that also includes two Commonwealth Games gold medallist, for the Nov 12-27 Asian Games at Guangzhou in China.
K. Ravi Kumar and Y. Renubala Chanu, who won gold medals in the recently concluded Delhi Games, have been included in the squad. Silver medallists Soniya Chanu (48kg) and Sukhen Dey (56kg) are also in the side.
India won eight medals including two gold in the Commonwealth Games.
The IWLF secretary-general Sahdev Yadav is hoping for a rich haul of medals at the Asian Games.
“We put up a strong performance in the Commonwealth Games and we hope to repeat it in the Asian Games,” Yadav said.
The weightlifting competition is scheduled Nov 13-19.
Indian weightlifters were banned from participating in the 2006 Asian Games in Doha because of a two-year ban imposed by the international body after some of the players were found positive in dope test.
Men: Sukhen Dey (56kg), V.S. Rao (62kg), Rustam Sarang (62kg), Omkar Otari (69kg), K. Ravi Kumar (77kg), Sudhir Kumar (85kg), Chandrakant Mali (85kg), Sarabjit Singh (105kg).
Women: Soniya Chanu (48kg), Sandhya Rani (48kg); Y. Renubala Chanu (58kg), Monika Devi (75kg), Geeta Rani (75kg).
- Indian lifters sure of winning 'dope-free' medals at CWG (Weightlifting preview) - Oct 03, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Silver for Sukhen, Srinivasa gets bronze - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- Overlooked for Arjuna, lifter Renubala returns CWG gold - Jul 25, 2011
- Asian Games weightlifting: Indians fail to shine on opening day - Nov 13, 2010
- We are not here to make up the numbers: Weightlifting coach - Jul 19, 2012
- Names of Indian medal winners at CWG - Oct 15, 2010
- Olympic weightlifting: Ravi Kumar finishes sixth in 69kg - Jul 31, 2012
- India begins medal chase after CWG opening ceremony - Oct 04, 2010
- Indian weightlifting coach rues missing gold - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG Weightlifting: Coach optimistic of gold in remaining weight categories (Interview) - Oct 05, 2010
- Lifters Soniya, Sandhya win India's first medals in CWG 2010 - Oct 04, 2010
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Lifters win India's first four medals at CWG 2010 (Night Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Soniya, Sandhya win first medals for India (LEAD) - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: asian games, chandrakant, chanu, commonwealth games gold, cwg, dope test, gold medallist, gold medallists, gold medals, member squad, omkar, otari, ravi kumar, rich haul, silver medallists, soniya, sudhir kumar, team men, v s rao, weightlifters