Twitter blamed for Olympic cyclic coverage issuesJuly 30th, 2012 - 8:51 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, July 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The organizers of the Olympic games have blamed Twitter for apparently disrupting the coverage of the cycling road races. The organizers reiterate that viewers of the games were left in dark after the messages, which had been sent electronically earlier failed to reach the intended viewers.
Apparently, the situation was so grave that the BBC commentator was forced to use his own watch to estimate timings. International Olympic committee opined that the electronic transmission was jammed as a result of fans sending updates over Twitter.
The communications director said that from his understanding, he thinks that one of the networks was oversubscribed hence leading to the jamming. He advised that twitter fans should consider sending only updates, which are urgent in order to facilitate the transmission of news.
The jamming made it impossible for the organizers to receive timings because they are usually sent through GPS transmitters which are located on bikes of competitors. The hiccup led to viewers being left in the dark as concerns the coverage of the cycling race.
However, a spokeswoman for the games organizer said that there were timing points which were fixed from the start to finish line. As such, she concluded that the races were not in doubt.
- Medals symbolise sporting glory of athletes (Olympic diary) - Jul 31, 2012
- Twitter can be dangerous for your Olympics wellbeing! (Olympics Diary) - Aug 01, 2012
- Toongate: Has Mamata Banerjee misused the IT Act? (Comment) - Apr 16, 2012
- Vibrations to help in energy harvesting - May 07, 2012
- Big Bash: Now watch cricket through eyes of the umpires - Jan 17, 2012
- Key Russian websites hacked, down on election day - Dec 04, 2011
- Usain Bolt sets new Twitter Olympic record - Aug 10, 2012
- Super-fast new smartphone network 'may threaten GPS signals' - Feb 24, 2011
- Sun's 'killer flare' won't end earth in 2012: NASA - Nov 13, 2011
- Hindu boy converts to Islam on TV in Pakistan - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic cycling champion Sanchez crashes out of Tour, Olympics - Jul 08, 2012
- School children create largest human London 2012 Logo - Apr 25, 2012
- Queen congratulates Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins - Jul 24, 2012
- More people watched Games opening than royal wedding - Aug 07, 2012
- UAE's YahLive network launches sports channel - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,