Twenty20 World Cup cricket to be telecast in 216 countriesMay 26th, 2009 - 8:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 26 (ANI): The global broadcast and production partner of the International Cricket Council, ESPN STAR Sports, has announced that the high profile Twenty20 World Cup cricket to be held in June will be telecast in 216 countries.
This was disclosed by R C Venkatesh, Managing Director ESPN Software India Private Limited at a press conference in the national capital, New Delhi on Tuesday. Also present on the occasion were former Test players Sanjay Manjrekar of India and Wasim Akram of Pakistan.
The women cricket is also all set to get a boost as the sports broadcasters have announced that they will relay live telecast the semi-finals and finals of the women’s Twenty20 World Cup cricket scheduled later this year.
Star cricket and ESPN, both have tried to ensure that the commentary panel has representation from almost all cricket playing countries which they say is done to lend truly a global colour to the telecast.
Some of the former cricket stars who will don the hat of commentator are Wasim Akram, Sanjay Manjrekar, Ian Chappell and Nasser Hussain.
The ESPN STAR Sports witnessed phenomenal viewership in the first edition of the event in 2007.
In fact, the finals of the event played between archrivals India and Pakistan created a new Indian record when the TVR touched a peak of 15.2, a figure never achieved on Indian television.
This time also the ESPN STAR Sports tie-up is expecting a high voltage drama.
R C Venkatesh depicted in detail the plans that the broadcasters have planned to increase the viewership.
The ICC World Twenty20 will be broadcast by ESPN STAR Sports as a part of its eight year agreement with ICC. (ANI)
- ESPN STAR Sports to telecast live India's WC preparatory matches against Australia, Kiwis - Feb 11, 2011
- Airtel Champions League Twenty20 records 35 percent increase in TV ratings over 2009 - Oct 07, 2010
- Ganguly debuts as a commentator with World Twenty20 - Jun 03, 2009
- Court stops unauthorised telecast of Cricket World Cup - Feb 21, 2011
- Kumble starts new innings as commentator - Jun 05, 2009
- Pietersen to feature in World T20 as commentator - Aug 24, 2012
- World Cup fever: No threat for entertainment channels! - Feb 16, 2011
- Court bans illegal telecast of World Cup cricket matches (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- ICC to beam World T20 in record 216 countries - May 26, 2009
- South Asians in US agog over Mohali battle - Mar 28, 2011
- India-Pak WC semi-final on espnstar.com breaks Indian online streaming record - Apr 16, 2011
- Ganguly picks India World T20 favourites, Windies dark horses - Aug 28, 2012
- Cable operators-broadcaster tiff upsets cricket fans - Feb 20, 2011
- ICC Twenty20 World Cup, 'Houseful' to be promoted together - Apr 15, 2010
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
Tags: cricket stars, espn, espn star sports, ian chappell, icc world twenty20, india and pakistan, indian television, international cricket council, nasser hussain, production partner, sanjay manjrekar, semi finals, software india, sports broadcasters, test players, twenty20 world cup, venkatesh, viewership, wasim akram, world cup cricket