Twelve nations to vie for Rs.2 crore World Kabaddi CupJune 19th, 2011 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh June 19 (IANS) The second edition of the World Kabaddi Cup will be held at multiple venues across Punjab in October-November with teams from 12 countries fighting for the winner’s cheque of Rs.2 crore.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal Sunday said that the World Kabaddi cup would be held in the last week of October and first week of November.
“We have decided to take this game to the hotbed of traditional Punjab style Kabaddi game and we have decided to hold the matches in the 12 venues, mostly in the rural areas. Twelve nations, including Pakistan, Canada and Afghanistan have already confirmed their participation. More such countries were seeking queries,” Badal said here.
Teams finishing second, third and fourth will get Rs.51 lakh, Rs.25 lakh and Rs.20 lakh respectively. All participating teams will get Rs.10 lakh each, Badal added.
“This year we have doubled the prize money for the winning team to Rs.2 crore which is the highest prize anywhere in the world in any amateur tournament,” Badal claimed.
While the opening ceremony will be held in Bathinda town, the finals and closing ceremony will be held in the industrial city of Ludhiana.
All matches will be held at flood-lit venues and telecast live on channels for viewers in India and Punjabis settled in United States, Canada, Europe, Australia and the Gulf countries.
Sikander Singh Maluka, president of Punjab Kabaddi Association, said that all arrangements for conducting dope tests on participating players had been made.
He said that besides hosts India, the other teams including Canada, Pakistan, the US, Australia, Afghanistan, Britain, Iran, Italy, Norway, Spain and Ireland are set to clash in the tournament.
- Women's teams to feature in kabaddi World Cup - Jul 17, 2011
- World Kabaddi cup begins in Punjab Nov 1 - Oct 27, 2011
- The 'desi' boys of Punjab's kabaddi world cup - Nov 08, 2011
- After gala start, India take on Germany in Kabaddi World Cup - Nov 02, 2011
- Punjab to host Kabaddi World Cup next month - Mar 17, 2010
- India win men, women world cup Kabaddi titles - Nov 21, 2011
- India, Canada teams to clash in Kabaddi finals - Nov 19, 2011
- In times of F1, Punjab talked kabaddi - Nov 13, 2011
- India, Pakistan to meet in Kabaddi World Cup finals - Apr 11, 2010
- India beat Pakistan to win Kabaddi World Cup 2010 (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Kabaddi World Cup begins in Punjab - Apr 04, 2010
- Encouraging response for Kabaddi world cup - Mar 29, 2010
- India win Kabaddi World Cup 2010 - Apr 13, 2010
- Women Kabaddi team's bus catches fire, two die - Nov 17, 2011
- Dope testing compulsory at Kabaddi World Cup - Mar 19, 2010
Tags: amateur tournament, badal, chandigarh, closing ceremony, crore, deputy chief minister, dope tests, europe australia, gulf countries, hotbed, kabaddi, lakh, maluka, opening ceremony, prize money, punjab, punjabis, rs 2, sikander, winning team