Turkey eyes five gold medals at the OlympicsJuly 31st, 2008 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 31 (Xinhua) Turkey has set a target of five golds and more than ten medals at the forthcoming Beijing Olympics, said Mehmet Atalay, head of the Turkish Olympic delegation. “Beijing Olympic Games is a very important sports event and that’s why we attach so much importance to the Games,” Atalay said Wednesday.
Atalay expressed hope that the country could win more medals than it did four years ago in Athens. Turkish athletes won 10 medals, including four gold, three silver and three bronze medals, in the 2004 Athens Olympic Games.
Atalay said that weightlifting and wrestling would be Turkey’s trump cards.
Naim Suleymanoglu set the Turkish weightlifting bandwagon rolling 20 years ago.
Suleymanoglu’s triple Olympic victory was followed by yet another three-medal haul by Halil Mutlu and, even though these two legends will not compete in Beijing, Turkey has athletes to count on, especially Taner Sagir.
Sagir became an Olympic winner at the age of 19 at Athens. Now he eyes his second gold medal, dismissing claims that an injury would keep him out of the Olympics.
Nurcan Taylan, who will compete against her fellow Turk, Sibel Ozkan, in the women’s 48-kilogram category will defend her title.
“My training is good and I’m ready to win again”, Taylan told reporters.
The Turkish delegation is composed of 106 members, among which 68 are athletes.
- Turkey pinning hopes on weighlifters in Olympics - Jul 27, 2008
- World weightlifting championships begins in Turkey - Sep 17, 2010
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Australia's medal count to fall in London: Study - Jul 17, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- Olympic lifting champion Liao Hui fails dope test, banned - Nov 18, 2011
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Beijing gold haul difficult in London: Chinese official - Apr 18, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Athens and two modern Olympic Games - Jul 18, 2012
- 29 Olympic champions to spearhead China at London Games - Jul 10, 2012
- Russians target 25 gold medals in London - Jul 10, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
Tags: 2004 athens olympic, 2004 athens olympic games, athens olympic games, beijing olympics, bronze medals, five golds, gold medal, gold medals, medal haul, mutlu, nurcan taylan, olympic victory, olympic winner, ozkan, sports event, target, trump cards, turkish delegation, weightlifting, xinhua