Tsonga edges Raonic in longest Olympic tennis matchAugust 1st, 2012 - 2:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, August 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga defeated Milos Raonic of Canada in the longest tennis match in Olympic history.
The players spent three hours and 57 minutes on the court Tuesday, crushing Fernando Gonzalez and Taylor Dent’s record, set in 2004, by 32 minutes.
The final score was 6-3, 3-6, 25-23.
The epic third set came about after the fifth seed Tsonga broke the first serve of Raonic to take the first set, with the Canadian world No.23 doing the same in the second.
The previous record for the longest Olympic set was beaten by 10 games as Tsonga, 27, secured victory in the 48th game.
Tsonga will face either Spain’s Feliciano Lopez or ninth seed Juan Monaco of Argentina in round three.
Elsewhere, Russia’s Nikolay Davydenko was knocked out by Japan’s Kei Nishikori of Japan 6-4, 4-6, 1-6.
Nishikori, ranked 17 in the world, will encounter either Spain’s David Ferrer or Blaz Kavcic of Slovenia in the next round.
- Olympic tennis: Federer beats del Potro in epic semifinal - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: France earn bronze in men's doubles - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Bryan twins win gold for US - Aug 05, 2012
- Wimbledon: Del Potro sinks Nishikori - Jul 01, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Britain's Murray reaches semis - Aug 02, 2012
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- Nadal, Soderling cruise into round three of Australian Open - Jan 20, 2011
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- Kvitova survives scare to reach Wimbledon second round (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- France's Monfils makes himself available for Davis Cup clash - Feb 08, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: august 1, bs, david ferrer, feliciano lopez, fernando gonzalez, fifth seed, final score, jo wilfried tsonga, juan monaco, kei nishikori, milos, nikolay davydenko, olympic history, olympic tennis, ria novosti, s david, spent three, taylor dent, tennis match, wilfried