Trott powers to Olympic omnium goldAugust 8th, 2012 - 10:10 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Britain’s Laura Trott sped to Olympic gold in the women’s omnium Tuesday by winning a thrilling 500 metre time trial.
Trott clocked 35.110 seconds, with Sarah Hammer of the US, her nearest challenger, coming in fourth with 35.900.
It was enough to secure gold by one point for the Briton, who had been level with Hammer after the first five disciplines. “I cannot believe this is happening to me,” Trott said.
“I was losing my head a little bit between the events because they weren’t going the way I wanted them to. I am so happy.”
Hammer, meanwhile, spoke of her exhaustion. “I gave it my all. It’s physical and mental - it’s both of those things. That’s what it is.”
Annette Edmondson of Australia took the bronze after finishing second in the time trial.
Trott, 20, won team pursuit gold Saturday with Britain.
- Olympics: Hoy gives Britain another gold in Velodrome - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Britain takes gold in women's team pursuit - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Jade Jones seals gold for Britain - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics tennis: gold for Belarus in mixed doubles - Aug 06, 2012
- Wiggins wins time trial to become Britain's top Olympian - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: McKeever wins canoe gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Britain's McKeever speeds to canoe gold (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic modern pentathlon: Lithuania's Asadauskaite wins last gold - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Sanchez storms to men's 400m hurdles gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Colombia's Pajon flies to gold in women's BMX - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Berki slays Brits for pommel horse gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Danes snatch rowing gold from Britain - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Britain's Rutherford leaps to long jump gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Caterham pair disappoint in Silverstone qualifying - Jul 07, 2012
- Olympic equestrian: Dujardin prances to dressage gold for Britain - Aug 10, 2012