Triple Olympic gold medallist Rice well placed in swimsuit warsMay 2nd, 2009 - 6:02 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 2 (ANI): Triple Olympic gold medallist Stephanie Rice is the best known swimmer in the world without a personal swimwear sponsor, and would be in a winning position during the world championships in July.
The International Swimming Federation’s newly formed commission assembles in Lausanne next week to decide which hi-tech swimsuits will be legal for the world titles in Rome, after an influx of new brands and new technology destabilised the sport in the past year.
On the advice of her coach Michael Bohl, Rice deliberately refrained from taking the money on offer from the manufacturers to an athlete of her stature.
Bohl believes that she is now in the perfect position to respond to the changing conditions for the world titles.
“I said all along that she didn’t want to pigeonhole herself because we don’t know what the rules will be,” The Australian quoted Bohl, as saying.
“I think Speedo and Arena are both very keen to sign her, but I think signing early would have been crazy. She probably won’t sign a deal now until after the world championships where they will decide what the rules are for 2010,” he added.
Rice tested a range of brands, including Arena, Adidas and Blue Seventy. She set both of her world records in Speedo’s LZR Racer at the Beijing Olympics and will consider all brands before deciding what she will wear in Rome. (ANI)
- Stephanie Rice named World's Sexiest Sportswoman - May 03, 2009
- Stephanie Rice can't find the 'perfect' swimsuit! - May 17, 2009
- Stephanie Rice steals Schipper's 100 m butterfly title - Mar 19, 2010
- Lara Bingle 'still associated with Speedo' - Jan 30, 2011
- Speedo dumps Lara Bingle for ex Miss Universe Rachael Finch - Dec 03, 2010
- 'No hesitation' in signing Bingle as face of summer swimwear: Speedo - Aug 08, 2010
- Can anybody upstage Phelps in Rome? - Jul 22, 2009
- Rice to test controversial Jaked speed suit - Jun 28, 2009
- Stella McCartney opens her first Adidas store - May 30, 2012
- Lara Bingle fires back after losing Speedo sponsorship - Dec 06, 2010
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Christina Hendricks to create swimwear line - Jul 26, 2011
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Phelps not invincible as FINA moves to level things - Dec 13, 2009
- Expect charming athletes at London Olympics: Chinese daily - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: athlete, beijing olympics, blue seventy, bohl, gold medallist, influx, international swimming federation, lausanne, lzr, new technology, olympic gold, pigeonhole, speedo, stature, stephanie rice, swimmer, swimsuits, swimwear, world championships, world titles