Trio of injury worries for EnglandJune 24th, 2010 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
Rustenburg, June 24 (DPA) Wayne Rooney, Aaron Lennon and Michael Carrick are all carrying ankle injuries and are doubtfuls for England’s Round-of-16 World Cup fixture with Germany, it emerged Thursday.
With the exception of Joe Cole, who came on as a second-half substitute, only those who hadn’t played in Wednesday’s 1-0 win over Slovenia trained at the Bafokeng Sports Palace.
Rooney was forced off after 70 minutes with an ankle injury. “I substituted Wayne because his ankle was not so good,” Capello said after the game.
“He had some problems. I changed the team, substituted him and we will check with the doctor but I think he will be fine on Sunday. I am not worried.”
Midfielder Carrick and winger Lennon, though, were also missing, with a squad insider suggesting England might be glad of the extra day of rest they’ve been granted by only finishing second in Group C.
Defender Ledley King, who suffered a groin injury in England’s first game, was back in field training, but did not kick a ball and is not a realistic option for the Germany game Sunday.
- Capello has full squad for Germany clash - Jun 26, 2010
- England arrive in South Africa - Jun 03, 2010
- England's Lions seek to devour past demons against Germany - Jun 26, 2010
- Rooney fit to face Germany - Jun 25, 2010
- Goalkeeping blunder costs England victory over US (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- England look to Barry for inspiration against Algeria - Jun 17, 2010
- Capello sends team doctor to check fitness of England players - May 05, 2010
- Rooney looks very tired, drained: Capello - May 16, 2010
- Rooney in best shape of season, claims Capello - Oct 12, 2010
- Capello looks for right World Cup mix for England (Group C team profile) - May 28, 2010
- Capello taking no chances with injured Rooney - May 23, 2010
- Capello Index was published without my knowledge, says Capello - Jul 18, 2010
- Despite Ferdinand's injury, England not to hold back stars: Capello - Jun 06, 2010
- Capello warns Rooney to show respect to referees - Jun 12, 2010
- Capello no role model for hothead Rooney - Jun 09, 2010
Tags: aaron lennon, ankle injuries, ankle injury, bafokeng, capello, day of rest, dpa, first game, germany game, groin injury, injury worries, joe cole, ledley king, michael carrick, realistic option, rustenburg, sports palace, wayne rooney, winger, world cup