Trainer Fenech wants Tyson-Holyfield re-matchFebruary 28th, 2008 - 3:25 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, Feb.28 (ANI): Australian trainer Jeff Fenech has said that it would be nice if a possible re-match between boxers Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson takes place soon.
Tyson, now 41, bit Holyfield, now 45, twice in that 1997 world heavyweight title clash in Las Vegas, ripping off a chunk of his ear, which he spat onto the canvas before being disqualified.
Holyfield has revealed to The Guardian newspaper in London that Tyson wanted a third fight with him and used his friend and trainer, former world champion Fenech as a go-between.
“Mike had Jeff Fenech, who’s been training him, call me a few months ago. Jeff says Mike wants to fight me again - but he needs to know if I would agree to it. I said, ‘It all depends on what they gonna give us - because I’m gonna catch a lot of flak if I say I’m fighting Mike Tyson again. I’ve already said I don’t want to fight Mike no more,” The Daily Telegraph quoted Holyfield, as saying.
Tyson’s boxing licence was revoked after the 1997 bite fight by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and he was fined US 3 million dollarsplus legal costs.
Little more than a year later, the commission voted 4-1 to restore his licence.
Holyfield, who knocked out Tyson when they first fought in 1996, did not agree Tyson lacked the discipline required to fight again.
“I think he could - if he wanted to. I don’t underestimate no man. He’s 41 now. I’m four years older but the big difference is I’ve always kept in shape,” said Holyfield.
Holyfield earned US 34 million dollars ($A36.12 million) for the 1997 fight and, unlike Tyson, has not squandered his enormous career earnings.
Holyfield now feels empathy with the former “baddest man on the planet”.
“I’m just one woman away, my mother, from being the same as Tyson,” Holyfield said.
“I would’ve ended up like him if my mama had not been so tough and strong. She lavished attention on me and that gave me security. Mike never had that, so I feel compassion for him. (ANI)
- Iron Mike's heart not in boxing anymore, says Holyfield ruling out re-match - Sep 17, 2010
- Mike Tyson becomes a vegan - Jul 29, 2010
- 'I'm done with boxing', says Mike Tyson - Oct 28, 2010
- Evander Holyfield taught me how to punch, says Helen Mirren - Apr 06, 2011
- Ex-boxing champ Tyson to become a missionary to earn respect from his kids - Aug 16, 2010
- Mike Tyson suggests kids to 'walk away' from bullies - May 10, 2010
- Mike Tyson Gets Emotional On Oprah - Oct 13, 2009
- I'll retire if I don't get fights: Holyfield - Sep 12, 2012
- World champion Haye on mission to unify world heavyweight title belts - Feb 08, 2010
- 'Iron' Mike Tyson loses cool when reminded of rape during live TV show - Nov 04, 2009
- Russell, Diggs team up again for kung fu movie - Sep 15, 2010
- Boxing great Holyfield's wife receives restraining order against him - Feb 12, 2010
- Is Iron Mike making a come back? - Mar 11, 2010
- Mike Tyson turns vegetarian - May 13, 2010
- Holyfield says he's "going to be undisputed world heavyweight champ" - Apr 12, 2010
Tags: baddest man, boxers, career earnings, chunk, compassion, daily telegraph, empathy, enormous career, evander holyfield, flak, guardian newspaper, jeff fenech, match, mike tyson, million dollars, nevada state athletic commission, title clash, tyson holyfield, world champion, world heavyweight title