Tour de France champion cyclist Contador cleared of doping chargesFebruary 16th, 2011 - 5:15 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Feb 16 (ANI): The Spanish cycling federation has cleared Alberto Contador of doping charges after he tested positive for banned substance clenbuterol at last year’s Tour de France.
The federation’s disciplinary committee accepted Contador’s defence that he unintentionally ate contaminated meat.
Contador, who won the Giro in 2008, said in a TV interview that he will race a full schedule until the Italian classic, which begins on May 7.
Contador, however expects the committee’s decision to be appealed, which could jeopardise his participation in this year’s Tour, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“The truth is today is a good day. It’s been an incredible number of weeks and months that I wouldn’t wish on absolutely anybody - you’d have to have lived these past months to know how it feels,” Contador told Veo7.
“The truth is the damage done to your image is irreparable, with all the stupidities that are said about you,” he said.”
The ruling came three weeks after the Spanish federation recommended a reduced one-year suspension rather than the standard two-year penalty.
Contador’s team then pushed for him to be cleared and face no punishment. (ANI)
- Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclist - Feb 07, 2012
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Tour de France winner Alberto Contador receives one-year doping ban - Jan 27, 2011
- Alberto Contador to lose his Tour de France title - Feb 06, 2012
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010
- Contador to focus on Tour de France in 2012 - Oct 01, 2011
- 'Dope-smeared' Tour de France champ claims to be a 'food contamination' victim - Oct 01, 2010
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
- Tour de France champ Contador vows to fight doping charge, possible suspension - Jan 29, 2011
- Avoid meat before Olympics, China tells its athletes - Mar 15, 2012
- Former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich banned for 2 years - Feb 09, 2012
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
- Stunning ride by Contador turns Vuelta on its head - Sep 06, 2012
- Contador clings on to retain Vuelta lead - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: alberto contador, champion cyclist, clenbuterol, cycling federation, disciplinary committee, france champion, giro, italian classic, morning herald, participation, spanish federation, sydney morning herald, tour de france, truth, tv interview