Tour de France champ Contador vows to fight doping charge, possible suspensionJanuary 29th, 2011 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
Mallorca (Spain), Jan.29 (ANI): Three-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador of Spain has vowed to fight a proposal to suspend him and strip him of his 2010 Tour de France title.Addressing a news conference in Puigpunyent on the island of Mallorca yesterday, Contador vowed to fight any sanctions as a ‘question of honor’ because ‘all scientists know I’m innocent.’
According to the Christian Science Monitor (CSM), Contador is expected to be slapped with a one-year suspension for alleged doping.
Contador has strongly defended his innocence and accused the international cycling and anti-doping organizations of making him a scapegoat.
The 28-year-old cyclist has until the second week in February to convince the federation to revise its preliminary decision.
After that, the final ruling will only be appealable in the Zurich-based Court of Arbitration for Sport.
If the suspension is confirmed, as most expect, he will lose his last Tour de France title and will not be allowed to compete for most of 2011. (ANI)
- Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclist - Feb 07, 2012
- Alberto Contador to lose his Tour de France title - Feb 06, 2012
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010
- Contador to focus on Tour de France in 2012 - Oct 01, 2011
- Tour de France winner Alberto Contador receives one-year doping ban - Jan 27, 2011
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
- Tour de France champion cyclist Contador cleared of doping charges - Feb 16, 2011
- 'Dope-smeared' Tour de France champ claims to be a 'food contamination' victim - Oct 01, 2010
- Rotterdam Gears Up For Tour De France - Jul 03, 2010
- Stunning ride by Contador turns Vuelta on its head - Sep 06, 2012
- Armstrong won't contest doping charges, to lose titles - Aug 24, 2012
- Contador clings on to retain Vuelta lead - Sep 09, 2012
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
Tags: alberto contador, arbitration, champ, christian science monitor, court of arbitration for sport, csm, france champion, innocence, international cycling, jan 29, news conference, proposal, sanctions, scapegoat, scientists, spain, tour de france, zurich