Tough to retain an injured Bhaichung in team: AIFFJanuary 7th, 2011 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Doha, Jan 7 (IANS) All India Football Federation (AIFF) general secretary Kushal Das said Friday that it will be tough for the team management to retain captain Bhaichung Bhutia in the team if the striker is ruled out of the AFC Asian Cup with his calf muscle injury.Das told IANS that the team management has written a letter to AFC seeking permission for Bhaichung’s inclusion as an official on the bench since the rules may not permit him to act as an official once he is registered as a player.
“The team manager has written a letter to the AFC to check if any way we can include Bhaichung as a technical official if he is ruled out. But it will be tough, since Bhaichung has been registered as player,” said Das.
Das said that a final call will be taken Sunday, on the eve of India’s first encounter against Australia at the Al Sadd Stadium here.
“The team management will take a final call on Sunday. There was also be a situation that he misses the first game and can still be in a position to play the next two matches against Bahrain and South Korea,” said Das.
Chief of delegation Subrata Dutta, who is also the AIFF vice-president, said that the final call will be taken by chief coach Bob Houghton.
“Bob will take a final call on Bhaichung’s inclusion in the team,” said Dutta.
I-League’s top scorer and Churchill Brothers striker Mohammad Rafi, who has been put on stand by for the captain, is travelling with the team and will replace Bhaichung if he is ruled out.
- AIFF flip-flop may cost Bhaichung a place in Asian Cup team (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2011
- I am giving myself another 2-3 days, says Bhaichung (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- In another flip-flop, AFC re-registers Bhutia in Asian Cup team (Intro Roundup) - Jan 08, 2011
- India forced to play Rafi in Asian Cup opener - Jan 09, 2011
- AIFF censures Chettri for praising Houghton - Apr 20, 2011
- Upset with players, AIFF to depute officials to Dubai - Dec 28, 2010
- Will injured Bhaichung play AFC Asian Cup? - Jan 07, 2011
- Rafi replaces Sushil in India's Asian Cup squad (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- AIFF upset with Houghton's remarks - Jan 14, 2011
- AIFF president meets team in Dubai to boost confidence - Jan 04, 2011
- Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers - Mar 21, 2011
- Rudi Krol eager to coach Indian football team - May 06, 2011
- PLS sigh of relief after IFA assures AIFF - Feb 13, 2012
- Houghton hires lawyer against AIFF, denies racist comments - Apr 11, 2011
- Services promise jobs to footballers - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: afc asian cup, al sadd, asian cup, bhutia, bob houghton, calf muscle injury, chief coach, churchill brothers, coach bob, final call, first encounter, first game, football federation, general secretary, kushal das, mohammad rafi, south korea, subrata, team management, top scorer