Tottenham target Defoe in $20 million dealDecember 29th, 2008 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 29 (IANS) Jermain Defoe’s future in Portsmouth is in serious doubt after he was first left out of the squad Sunday night and then reinstated to the substitutes’ bench for the game against Arsenal in the English Premier League. The move comes as Tottenham are understood to be preparing a bid worth around $20 million for the striker despite their manager Harry Redknapp’s protestations that Spurs cannot afford him.
Defoe, 26, is understood to be furious that he was replaced in the team by David Nugent, who started his first match of the season for Portsmouth in their 1-0 defeat.
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy’s has promised that the club would not be spending big next month but Redknapp is desperate to sign a striker capable of scoring goals.
The Independent revealed that Redknapp had a $6 million bid for Craig Bellamy turned down by West Ham on Christmas Eve and the manager has not given up hope of signing the Welsh striker. His side’s defeat to West Bromwich Albion Sunday leaves them 16th, level on points with Stoke who are in the relegation zone.
It is understood that Defoe was initially told that he would not be in the squad at all to face Arsenal at the Emirates, but coach Tony Adams later changed his mind and brought the player on as a substitute towards the end of the match. Adams admitted that Defoe had been angry with the decision.
“Jermain was really annoyed with me for leaving him out and I wouldn’t want it any other way. It was tactical, exactly like I played at Liverpool and he may have a point. He could quite easily turn round to me and say ‘You got it wrong today, boss, because you lost’. But it’s not easy being a manager and you have to make difficult decisions,” Adams was quoted as saying by the daily.
“He’s a fantastic player and scores great goals butwe are struggling with a little bit of a balance and away at Liverpool and Arsenal I chose to keep him on the bench. There was no other reason. Speculate all you want. I have had no offers for Jermain Defoe. Not one,” he said.
- Defoe extends contract with Tottenham till 2015 - Aug 31, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Capello leaves out Rio, Crouch from England squad - Aug 29, 2011
- Damiao poised for Tottenham move - May 23, 2012
- Manchester United stay in hunt as Chelsea suffer setback - Dec 27, 2011
- Redknapp hints at changes on Tottenham frontline - Dec 25, 2009
- Man U stars showed me how to win, says Defoe - Nov 27, 2010
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Chelsea aims to finally win Champions League this season: Anelka - Aug 07, 2010
- Defoe vows to end goal drought - Aug 25, 2010
- Chelsea restore three-point lead; Arsenal held by Burnley - Dec 17, 2009
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Tottenham stars can win World Cup for England - May 07, 2010
- Tottenham Hotspur sign Crouch, set to let Bent leave - Jul 28, 2009