Tottenham move out of relegation zone in PremiershipDecember 9th, 2008 - 1:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 9 (DPA) Tottenham Hotspur moved clear of the relegation zone in the English Premier League with a 2-0 away win against West Ham United.Second-half goals from captain Ledley King and Jamie O’Hara Monday lifted the visiting side to 15th place, three points ahead of the bottom three.
After missing two good first-half chances, Tottenham finally went ahead on 67 minutes when King headed Aaron Lennon’s cross into the ground and over West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green.
After Heurelho Gomes made a superb double save to protect the lead, Spurs sealed the win when Jamie O’Hara smashed in the second goal in the dying minutes.
“I’m just pleased with the effort the lads put in,” King said.
“Three points was a must for us coming here. It’s not important for me to score. It’s the three points the matter.”
Jonathan Woodgate, who was equally important alongside King at the heart of the Spurs defence, called it “a must-win game.
“It puts us on level points with West Ham (above them on goal difference), so it was vital for us,” Woodgate said. “I thought we dominated throughout and maybe the best we played all season. The whole team were magnificent.”
- Manchester City wins league title in thrilling fashion - May 14, 2012
- Pressure on Chelsea as Manchester United go top; Hull woe - Apr 25, 2010
- Ledley King retires from football - Jul 19, 2012
- Stoke City stun Tottenham in EPL, Sunderland stage dramatic win - Dec 12, 2011
- Arsenal thrash Spurs to reclaim EPL fourth spot - Feb 26, 2012
- Tottenham Hotspur unlikely to give up 2012 Olympic Stadium claim without a fight - Mar 31, 2011
- Groin injury forces Leadley King out of World Cup - Jun 14, 2010
- Resurgent Arsenal beat Newcastle - Mar 13, 2012
- Imperious Arsenal go second; Spurs into top four - Nov 08, 2009
- Manchester United win Carling Cup in shootout - Mar 02, 2009
- Lloyd plans wild hen party - Jan 22, 2012
- Danielle Lloyd's son Harry released from the hospital - Aug 16, 2011
- Capello has full squad for Germany clash - Jun 26, 2010
- 'Tottenham has lost credibility in bid to gain Olympics stadium' - Jan 24, 2011
- England's Lions seek to devour past demons against Germany - Jun 26, 2010