Torres urges Liverpool to let him join ChelseaJanuary 29th, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 29 (ANI): Ace striker Fernando Torres has urged Liverpool to agree a deal with Chelsea that will benefit both himself and Anfield.
Chelsea will return with an improved 40 million pounds offer for Torres with the current Premier League champions hopeful of closing the deal before Monday’s deadline after the striker confirmed his desire to quit Liverpool by submitting a transfer request.
Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti intends to push hard for Torres although Liverpool have rejected his transfer request, the Guardian reports.
“Every time, when there is a possibility to find a better player for this club, we will try. I don’t need to explain when we move. When we try to do something, we speak together and make the decision. I knew about the bid. I’m not surprised because I know what the club is doing,” Ancelotti said.
Liverpool new owners, Fenway Sports Group, hope the signing of the Uruguay international Suarez, who has still to complete a medical and agree to personal terms, will convince Torres of their ambitions. They remain adamant that their leading goalscorer is not for sale.
Liverpool said in a statement last night: “Fernando Torres tonight submitted a written transfer request, which has been rejected by Liverpool. Fernando is under long-term contract and the club expect him to honour the commitment he made to Liverpool FC and its supporters when he signed the agreement.”
However, the 26-year-old has reached the point where he believes a departure from Liverpool is the right move for his career and does not want to miss a second opportunity to join Chelsea, the Guardian reports.
He has urged FSG to broker an agreement that is good for both himself and the club. (ANI)
- Torres wanted to join Chelsea since last summer - Feb 02, 2011
- Torres can join Chelsea for 50 million pounds - Jan 30, 2011
- Ancelotti says Torres will have 'fantastic future' at Chelsea - Apr 24, 2011
- Torres calls Liverpool a 'selling club' - Mar 12, 2011
- Had to leave Liverpool after everything started to look 'black': Torres - Feb 09, 2011
- Torres ready to end goal drought against Manchester City - Mar 20, 2011
- Ancelotti could drop Torres for Champions League game against Man U - Apr 12, 2011
- Liverpool rejects 35 million pound Chelsea bid for Torres - Jan 28, 2011
- Dark cloud over Liverpool lifted with departure of Torres - Mar 24, 2011
- Torres doesn't have to score to prove his worth: Ancelotti - Mar 03, 2011
- Chelsea's 'record signing non-performing' star Torres could face the axe: Ancelotti - Apr 09, 2011
- Liverpool was not giving me what they promised: Torres - Feb 06, 2011
- Torres not to blame for Chelsea's form slump: Ancelotti - Feb 19, 2011
- Torres will have to put in a transfer request to quit Liverpool - Jul 11, 2010
- Chelsea pays record-breaking fee for Liverpool's Torres - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: ace, ambitions, carlo ancelotti, closing the deal, desire, fenway sports group, fernando torres, guardian, honour, jan 29, league champions, liverpool fc, london jan, personal terms, premier league, right move, suarez, term contract, transfer request, uruguay