Torres to quit if Liverpool fails to finish in top fourDecember 27th, 2009 - 1:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 27 (ANI): Liverpool ace striker Fernando Torres’ long- term loyalty for the club is being stretched to its limit with the club battling to keep him beyond this season.
Liverpool’s alarming slump is leading him to a similar situation where his heart is at his current club but he may be forced to move on.
Failure to finish in the top four and the continued presence of the current hierarchy would mean only blind faith could keep Torres at Anfield.
Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has already turned down a 70 million pound bid from Manchester City for his star striker. Chelsea also had an approach for Torres rebuffed last summer, with the player uninterested in leaving Anfield at the time.
But both City and the Blues are preparing renewed offers, News of the World reports.
Torres has consistently committed himself to the Liverpool cause but that is conditional on the club proving they can fulfil his ambitions.
The Spaniard has become troubled by the shambolic events on and off the pitch in recent months and is seeking assurances the club will sort themselves out before the start of next season.
Torres left his boyhood team Atletico Madrid because they could not match his Champions League and trophy- winning dreams.
Both Torres and skipper Steven Gerrard want to know if the club are likely to find the resources to undergo another major overhaul of the squad before next season.
Benitez faces two pivotal fixtures over the next fortnight, which will determine if his guarantee of a top-four finish is realistic and will ultimately decide his fate.
His side travel to Aston Villa on Tuesday and welcome Spurs on January 10, News of the World reports.
If the deficit between Liverpool and their top four competitors has increased after that, Benitez’s hopes of surviving beyond May 2010 will deteriorate. (ANI)
- Torres fears chronic long-term injuries in England - Apr 25, 2010
- Real Madrid may bid 30-million pounds for unhappy Gerrard - May 07, 2010
- Benitez will be lame duck boss if Liverpool loses to ManU - Oct 25, 2009
- Klinsmann lays into Rafa Benitez during meeting with Liverpool owners - Dec 11, 2009
- Torres has saved Liverpool's 2009-10 season: Carragher - Dec 31, 2009
- Man City plotting 40 m pound move for Gerrard - May 10, 2010
- Dangerous Torres turning up heat on Liverpool's top-four rivals - Apr 10, 2010
- Benitez's six-year-rule with Liverpool ends with a sack - Jun 03, 2010
- Tough task for Liverpool to keep Torres - May 04, 2010
- Gerrard returns as Liverpool fights back to beat Newcastle - Dec 31, 2011
- Liverpool denies pressure from Spain to put Torres under knife - Dec 26, 2009
- Liverpool stars could face pay cut if they don't qualify for Champions League - Feb 14, 2010
- Benitez may be spooked by ex-Liverpool stars Crouch and Keane - Jan 20, 2010
- Confident Torres pleads with Benitez to utilize him fully - Feb 28, 2010
- Real Madrid' set for spectacular 30-mn pound swoop for Steven Gerrard - Oct 24, 2009
Tags: ambitions, anfield liverpool, assurances, blind faith, boyhood, champions league, chelsea, current club, fernando torres, fortnight, hierarchy, manchester city, news of the world, rafa benitez, side travel, slump, spaniard, spurs, star striker, steven gerrard