Torres ‘big club’ dig at LiverpoolFebruary 1st, 2011 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 1 (ANI): Ace striker Fernando Torres, who joined Chelsea for a record 50 million pounds, said after the deal, that he was leaving for a top club.
The Spanish international sealed his deal minutes before the closure of the transfer window and took an obvious dig at Liverpool and boss Kenny Dalglish who had earlier attacked him.
“The target for every player is to play for one of the top clubs in the world and I can do it now, so I’m very happy,” Torres said.
His 50 million pound fee surpassed that set earlier in the day by Liverpool when they signed Andy Carroll for 35 million pounds, which in turn had beaten Manchester City’s 32.5 million pound buy of Robinho in 2008, The Sun reports.
Torres appears to have rubbed Liverpool the wrong way by insisting that he is joining a bigger club than the five-time European champions.
“It has been two hard days for me, leaving Liverpool, but I’m a Chelsea player and I’m happy,” Torres said.
“It is one of the biggest steps forward in my career. It is a great club with a great responsibility. People will be expecting big things for me but I am ready for the challenge,” he said.
“It is the kind of team I like to play against because that motivates me and the kind of team I want to play for. It is always very tough to play against a team like Chelsea. They are one of the best teams in Europe and always fighting for everything - and that is a step forward,” Torres added.
Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said: “This is a very significant day for Chelsea, capturing one of the best players in the world.” (ANI)
- Liverpool complete signing of Downing - Jul 16, 2011
- Chelsea buys Torres in British record transfer deal - Feb 01, 2011
- Chelsea's midfielders are old and slow: Torres - Sep 10, 2011
- Liverpool coach Dalglish wants Carroll as replacement for Torres - Jan 31, 2011
- Dark cloud over Liverpool lifted with departure of Torres - Mar 24, 2011
- Torres doesn't have to score to prove his worth: Ancelotti - Mar 03, 2011
- Carroll will be better than Drogba, says Joe Cole - Mar 31, 2011
- Liverpool boss Dalglish warns Torres 'clubs will always be bigger than superstars' - Feb 01, 2011
- Torres urges Liverpool to let him join Chelsea - Jan 29, 2011
- Had to leave Liverpool after everything started to look 'black': Torres - Feb 09, 2011
- Liverpool was not giving me what they promised: Torres - Feb 06, 2011
- Chelsea pays record-breaking fee for Liverpool's Torres - Feb 01, 2011
- Chelsea's 'record signing non-performing' star Torres could face the axe: Ancelotti - Apr 09, 2011
- I am ready for Chelsea debut: Oscar - Aug 18, 2012
- Ancelotti says Torres will have 'fantastic future' at Chelsea - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: 5 million, 50 million pounds, ace, boss, bruce buck, chelsea chairman, closure, europe, european champions, fernando torres, kenny dalglish, liverpool, london feb, manchester city, robinho, sun, target, top clubs, wrong way