Topless protest at Euro 2012 trophy displayMay 13th, 2012 - 2:32 am ICT by IANS
Kiev, May 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A topless female protester attacked the trophy to be awarded at Euro 2012 and knocked it to the floor at an exhibition in the Ukrainian capital Saturday.
The protester approached the Henri Delaunay trophy, on display in the centre of Kiev, and knocked it over before displaying an obscene slogan on her bare torso directed against the tournament. She was detained by police.
The Femen group regularly stages topless protests, and said it wanted to highlight how the Euro 2012 tournament would increase prostitution in Ukraine.
“Femen is opposed to the hosting of Euro 2012 in Ukraine and accuses UEFA of propaganda for sex tourism, of stimulating sex-tourism in the cities where the Euro tournament will be held, of debilitating the population and making it drunk,” the group said in a statement on Twitter.
Poland and Ukraine are co-hosts for the Euro 2012 tournament to be held June 8-July 1.
- Women detained for topless protest in Ukraine - Sep 27, 2011
- Euro 2012 soccer trophy arrives in Ukraine - May 12, 2012
- Cross-chopping topless activist flees Ukraine - Sep 06, 2012
- British government to boycott Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
- Downpour floods Kiev's Euro 2012 fan zone - Jun 07, 2012
- UEFA chief praises Ukraine for Euro 2012 success - Aug 28, 2012
- Topless protester cuts down Cross in Ukraine - Aug 17, 2012
- Ukraine protesters face jail for insulting Indian flag (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Ukraine 'horror stories' deterred fans, says Hodgson - Jun 20, 2012
- Shevchenko hands Ukraine dream start at Euro 2012 - Jun 12, 2012
- Ukrainian girls may be jailed for insulting Indian flag - Feb 18, 2012
- Topless women stage protest in London over Olympic body's rules - Aug 03, 2012
- Ukrainians struck down by dodgy salad: Team doctor - Jun 07, 2012
- Euro 2012 ticket design unveiled in Ukraine - Apr 24, 2012
- 'Topless' Ukrainian feminists protest Kiwi 'Win a Wife' event - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: euro 2012, exhibition, henri delaunay trophy, hosts, july 1, kiev, poland, population, propaganda, prostitution, protester, protests, ria novosti, sex tourism, slogan, topless protest, torso, twitter, ukraine, ukrainian capital