Top three qualify for Tennis Masters CupJuly 10th, 2008 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 10 (IANS) New Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal, world number one Roger Federer and No. 3 Serbian Novak Djokovic have qualified for the 2008 Shanghai Tennis Masters Cup from Nov. 9-16. Defending champion Federer, finalist in the last five years, won back-to-back titles in 2003-04 and again in 2006-07.
World no. 2 Nadal, who last week became the first player since Sweden’s Bjorn Borg in 1980 to capture the Roland Garros and Wimbledon titles in the same year, has been a semi-finalist in his two appearances at Masters.
Djokovic is in his second straight Masters, having won three titles and compiled a 38-9 win-loss record this season.
New Wimbledon doubles champions Daniel Nestor of Canada and Serbian Nenad Zimonjic, and American twins Bob and Mike Bryan, have also clinched the first two doubles berths in the elite eight-team field.
“It is wonderful to see these three great players, Rafa, Roger and Novak, qualify for the Shanghai event again. The 2008 event is certain to be a thrilling finale as the battle for the year-end World No.1 ranking is the closest in years,” said tournament director Brad Drewett.
The top seven players in the ATP 2008 Race and the top seven teams in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race following the BNP Paribas Masters qualify for the circuit finale, with one spot reserved for Grand Slam champions finishing in the Top 20.
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Indian Wells: Federer thrashes Nadal, Isner shocks Djokovic - Mar 18, 2012
- Djokovic wins maiden Wimbledon title - Jul 03, 2011
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Djokovic beats Federer at Indian Wells to take world no.2 ranking - Mar 20, 2011
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Djokovic, new king of tennis in 2011 - Dec 21, 2011
- Federer wins his first Paris Masters 1000 title - Nov 14, 2011
- Federer out of top three for the first time since 2003 - Oct 17, 2011
- Djokovic criticises ATP for ignoring players' interest - May 08, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi win Paris Masters - Nov 14, 2011
Tags: bjorn borg, bnp paribas, bnp paribas masters, bob and mike, bob and mike bryan, daniel nestor, defending champion, elite eight, grand slam champions, nenad zimonjic, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, roger federer, roland garros, semi finalist, shanghai tennis masters cup, tennis masters cup, wimbledon champion, wimbledon doubles, wimbledon titles