Tomic becomes youngest-ever winner at Australian OpenJanuary 19th, 2009 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 19 (DPA) Reigning junior champion Bernard Tomic proved himself a rising force at the senior level as a first-round victory Monday made him the youngest male winner of a match at the Australian Open.The 16-year-old whose controversial father has been in trouble with Tennis Australia for outbursts during matches, showed mature form in his first Grand Slam with a 7-6 (7-5), 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (8-6) first-round win over 73rd-ranked Italian Potito Starace.
“It’s a dream come true to win a first round in my first Grand Slam,” said Tomic. “I’m just thrilled that I could pull off a win today. With the crowd behind me, it was an unbelievable experience.”
Aged 16 years 89 days, Tomic is 94 days younger than fellow Australian Todd Woodbridge was when he beat American John Letts in the opening round at Melbourne Park in 1988.
Tomic recovered from breaks in the third and fourth sets for the spectacular win on a solid opening day for home hopes at Melbourne Park.
“I had no nerves going into the match. I was just happy that I could get off to a good start really.”
Other Aussie winners included Brydan Klein, who knocked out German Bjorn Phau 6-4, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 and Jelena Dokic, who reached the second round over Austrian Tamira Paszek 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek win, Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out - Aug 30, 2012
- Federer beats Hewitt to level Davis Cup play-off at 1-1 - Sep 16, 2011
- Federer, Nadal in Australian Open quarters (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Nadal, Soderling cruise into round three of Australian Open - Jan 20, 2011
- US Open results Wednesday - Sep 02, 2010
- Australian Open: Federer, Nadal cruise into quarters - Jan 22, 2012
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna toil; Paes-Stepanek cruise into second round - Jan 18, 2012
- Chennai Open singles wrap - Jan 06, 2011
- Australian Open: Azarenka eases into second round, Tomic beats Verdasco - Jan 16, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Djokovic, Tsonga survive scare - Jul 30, 2012
- Defending champion Federer cruises into round two of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: aussie, australian open, bernard tomic, bjorn phau, brydan klein, grand slam, jan 19, jelena dokic, junior champion, letts, male winner, melbourne park, nerves, opening day, potito starace, rising force, tamira paszek, tennis australia, todd woodbridge, unbelievable experience