Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid OpenMay 12th, 2012 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 12 (IANS) Janko Tipsarevic produced another surprise in the Mutua Madrid Open when he defeated fellow countryman, number one seed and tournament favourite Novak Djokovic 7-6(2), 6-3.
The win Friday for the number seven seed means that last year’s tournament winner Djokovic follows Rafael Nadal, who was beaten by Fernnado Verdasco Thursday, out of the tournament, along with number four seed Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, another player who crashed out of the competition ahead of schedule.
Djokovic rarely looked comfortable during his match and his exit will merely serve to raise more questions about the blue clay playing surface that both the Serb and Nadal have not only complained about, but said will cause them to miss next year’s tournament if it is not changed.
Tipsarevic will face Roger Federer, who is now the tournament favourite after the number three seed defeated last Spanish hope David Ferrer 6-4, 6-4.
The other half of the draw will see number six seed Tomas Berdych play Juan Manuel del Potro.
Del Potro beat number 16 seed Alexandr Dolgopolov in straight sets 6-4, 6-3 in which his more effective first serve was a decisive factor against a rival who got 31 percent of his first serves in.
Berdych, meanwhile, brought Fernando Verdasco back down to earth following his stunning win over Nadal.
Verdasco looked tired after Thursday’s long game in the sun and never got near the form he had shown in toppling his compatriot as Berdych dispatched him 6-1, 6-2 in just one hour and six minutes.
In the women’s tournament, number one seed Victoria Azarenka will play number four seed Agnieszka Radwanska, who defeated American qualifier Varvara Lepchenko 6-4, 6-4 after a match in which Radwanska’s lack of errors was vital in a match filled with long rallies
Brief Scores (Men):
10-Juan Martin del Potro, Argentina, bt 16-Alexandr Dolgopolov, Ukraine, 6-3, 6-4.
6-Tomas Berdych, Czech Republic, bt 15-Fernando Verdasco, Spain, 6-1, 6-2.
7-Janko Tipsarevic, Serbia, bt 1-Novak Djokovic, Serbia, 7-6 (7-2), 6-3.
3-Roger Federer, Switzerland, bt 5-David Ferrer, Spain, 6-4, 6-4.
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- US Open results - Sep 03, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012
- Top seeds have comfortable outing in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Davis Cup semifinals: Nadal plays Gasquet, Djokovic against Nalbandian - Sep 15, 2011
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- Nadal leads in unchanged ATP top 10 - Jul 12, 2010
- Murray's road to US Open title - Sep 11, 2012
- Berdych seals semis berth in World Tour Finals - Nov 26, 2011
Tags: blue clay, david ferrer, decisive factor, fellow countryman, fernando verdasco, fernando verdasco spain, hope david, janko tipsarevic, juan martin del potro, juan martin del potro argentina, mutua madrid, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, roger federer, spanish hope, straight sets, tomas berdych, tournament winner, varvara lepchenko, victoria azarenka