Time running out for England’s Golden Generation: HodgsonJune 16th, 2012 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev, June 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Senior England players such as John Terry and Steven Gerrard are running out of time in the national side as young talent emerges, England coach Roy Hodgson has warned.
Terry, 31, and Gerrard, 32, both played 90 minutes as England came back from 1-2 down to beat Sweden 3-2 in Friday’s game, but the goals were scored by young talents Andy Carroll, Theo Walcott and Danny Welbeck.
“There’s something coming along that’s going to move that generation on,” Hodgson said, adding that he welcomed the extra competition for starting places.
Hodgson’s Euro 2012 squad attracted some criticism for its emphasis on youth, with 22-year-old Liverpool defender Martin Kelly picked ahead of Rio Ferdinand and his 21-year-old teammate Jordan Henderson a controversial choice in midfield.
Hodgson took care to praise the older players for their role in the win over Sweden.
“The back four once again were very good, Terry and (Joleon) Lescott in particular, against a Swedish team that can ask a lot of questions of you,” he said.
“Gerrard, the captain, gave yet again another captain’s performance.”
England play co-hosts Ukraine Tuesday in the knowledge that a draw will be enough to secure a place in the quarter-finals.
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: England win over Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden - Jun 16, 2012
- Welbeck on wonder goal: I knew it was coming - Jun 16, 2012
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Euro 2012: Rooney to play against Ukraine, says coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Hodgson praises 'clever' Welbeck winner - Jun 16, 2012
- Ukraine 'horror stories' deterred fans, says Hodgson - Jun 20, 2012
- Walcott surprised by his own Roanldo dip - Jun 16, 2012
- Carroll hails 'great' England - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Sweden coach blames bad luck for defeat to England - Jun 16, 2012
- France, England draw their Euro 2012 opener - Jun 12, 2012
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: controversial choice, england coach, england players, euro 2012, golden generation, john terry, kiev, liverpool, martin kelly, midfield, old teammate, quarter finals, ria novosti, rio ferdinand, roy hodgson, running out of time, steven gerrard, swedish team, theo walcott, welbeck