Tiger Woods unable to play Chevron World ChallengeDecember 1st, 2009 - 3:20 am ICT by BNO News
ORLANDO, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) — Tiger Woods on Monday said he will not attend any tournaments in 2009, including the Chevron World Challenge, due to last week’s car crash outside his home.
Tiger Woods released a statement on his official website on Monday, saying he will not be able to attend because of injuries he sustained in last Friday’s single-car accident.
“I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week,” Woods wrote in his statement. “I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I’m very sorry that I can’t be there.”
Greg McLaughlin, the President and CEO of the Tiger Woods Foundation, said he supports the decision of Woods. “We support Tiger’s decision and are confident the strong field and excellent course will provide an exciting week of competition at the Chevron World Challenge,” McLaughlin said.
Woods further said he will not attend any other tournaments for the rest of the year, and will return to action in 2010.
The single-vehicle accident happened around 2.25 a.m. on Friday in Windermere, a suburb of Orlando, according to a police report. The report said Woods pulled out of the driveway at his residence and struck a fire hydrant. The front of the car then struck a tree, officials said. While the cause of the accident is still under investigation, the Florida Highway Patrol earlier said that no alcohol was involved.
The state agency initially caused widespread confusion after its initial press release on Friday said that Woods had been seriously injured in the accident. Woods’ publicist later said the famed golfer sustained only minor injuries, and had already been released from hospital.
Tags: bno, car accident, car crash, chevron, fire hydrant, florida highway patrol, greg mclaughlin, initial press, last friday, minor injuries, orlando florida, police report, publicist, suburb, tiger, tiger woods foundation, vehicle accident, widespread confusion, windermere, world challenge