Tiger Woods to return next week from knee lay-offFebruary 20th, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 20 (DPA) Golfer Tiger Woods will make his comeback to the PGA Tour next week after an eight-month layoff that saw him recovering from a knee surgery and becoming father for the second time.
He limped away from golf in June after winning the US Open in a playoff, announcing that he needed reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Unbeknownst to fans and competitors, he had won what was his 14th career major tournament with an injury that incapacitates athletes in most other sports. His wife, Elin, gave birth to their second child earlier this month.
Woods is scheduled to play for the first time Wednesday at the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship in Marana, Arizona, near Tucson, PGA officials confirmed. He is the defending champion at the desert event, where he has three victories in nine career appearances.
“Elin and our new son Charlie are doing great,” Woods said in a statement.
“I’ve enjoyed my time at home with the family and appreciate everyone’s support and kind wishes. I’m now ready to play again.”
PGA Commissioner Tim Finchem said that the organisation was “delighted” with the return of Woods, who is easily the tour’s biggest draw.
- PGA chief admits to blunder over Woods' public apology - Feb 22, 2010
- Tiger Woods may never again dominate golf: Ernie Els - Mar 03, 2009
- Tiger Woods on comeback trail after dropping out of top 50 - Oct 04, 2011
- Tiger Woods to return to therapy after press conference - Feb 19, 2010
- Tiger Woods to speak to media Friday (Lead) - Feb 18, 2010
- Injured Rossi out of Euro 2012 - Apr 14, 2012
- Tiger Woods suffers back injury scare ahead of USPGA - Aug 13, 2009
- PGA Tour Retains Its Value Even In The Absence Of Tiger Woods: Reports - Jan 20, 2010
- Tiger Woods to apologize publicly for sexcapades - Feb 18, 2010
- Liverpool midfielder Lucas ruled out for season - Dec 02, 2011
- Tiger Woods to play at next year's Dubai Desert Classic - Aug 01, 2010
- Former Liverpool defender Aurelio out with injury - Jul 01, 2012
- Woods taking golf break to repair family ties (Lead) - Dec 12, 2009
- Tiger Woods apologises to fans, family (Second Lead) - Feb 20, 2010
- Tiger Woods says re-grabbing World No.1 tag still firmly in his sights - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: accenture, accenture match play championship, anterior cruciate ligament, defending champion, desert, dpa, golfer tiger woods, knee surgery, layoff, left knee, marana arizona, other sports, pga tour, reconstruction, second time, son charlie, tiger, tim finchem, time at home, world golf championships