Tiger Woods has ‘a great chance’ to win the Masters, says Seve BallesterosMarch 24th, 2010 - 2:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar. 24 (ANI): Former golfing ace Seve Ballesteros believes that the world’s No 1 golfer Tiger Woods has “a great chance” to win the Masters this year.
“I’m pleased to see that Tiger Woods made the decision to come back and has finally decided to compete. I think that this is the best news that golf can have right now and I wish him good luck. He has a good chance to win the Masters this year, of course,” The Telegraph quoted Ballesteros, as saying.
“If he decides to compete in The Masters it is because he knows that he has a good chance. We all know his potential and he knows the golf course very well, so I think he has a great chance to win,” he added.
In December last year, Woods announced that he was taking an “indefinite break” from golf, and two months later, he confessed to a number of extramarital affairs.
Recently, Woods revealed his intention to return to action at Augusta National, the scene of four of his 14 major victories.
According to his practice partner John Cook, Woods is in “vintage” form at the moment.
American John Cook, who has 11 PGA Tour wins, said he had played rounds with Woods on Thursday and Friday and hit balls with him on Sunday.
“I don’t see anyone that hits the ball like he does. We all know that that’s not the whole battle, there are a lot of other issues there for him, but as far as ball-striking goes, if he takes that up there, it’s vintage,” Cook said after play at the Tavistock Cup at Isleworth.
Woods was given a further boost by the public backing of tennis world No 4 Rafael Nadal.
“The first thing I think is that society is in a bad way. Starting with the sports media, we have to judge Tiger as an athlete. His private life is his business and nobody else’s. I still admire him because he’s an exemplary athlete,” Nadal said. (ANI)
- Seeing death coming "very difficult" experience, says cancer-survivor Ballesteros - Jul 10, 2010
- Jimenez turns the clock back, wins European Masters - Sep 06, 2010
- Legendary golfer Seve Ballesteros loses battle with brain tumour - May 07, 2011
- Woods' caddie confident crowd will be kind in comeback tournament - Mar 31, 2010
- Pavin brings in F-16 fighter pilot to motivate US golf team ahead of Ryder Cup - Sep 30, 2010
- Tiger Woods' back home & also back to practicing golf - Mar 03, 2010
- Tiger Woods' return to professional golf 'imminent' - Mar 09, 2010
- "Tiger Woods' Masters win a possibility" - Apr 04, 2010
- Ballesteros' call inspirational for European golf team ahead of Ryder Cup: Montgomerie - Sep 30, 2010
- St Andrews Golf Club honours ex-star - Nov 13, 2009
- I am trying to become a better person, says Tiger Woods - Apr 03, 2011
- Rebuilding golf swing is a work in progress: Tiger Woods - Nov 10, 2010
- Tiger Woods Cannot Miss The Masters: Jack Nicklaus - Mar 04, 2010
- Tiger Woods to play at next year's Dubai Desert Classic - Aug 01, 2010
- Tiger Woods working on improving his life and game - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: athlete, augusta national, best news, extramarital affairs, golf course, golfer tiger woods, golfing, good chance, good luck, intention, john cook, partner john, pga tour, practice partner, private life, rafael nadal, seve ballesteros, sports media, tavistock cup, tennis world