Tibetans attempt to storm Chinese Consulate in MumbaiApril 17th, 2008 - 3:56 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai/Varanasi/New Delhi, Apr 17 (ANI): Exiled Tibetans today attempted to storm the Chinese Consulate here hours before the Olympic torch relay is scheduled to take place in New Delhi.
Despite the fact that the Chinese Consulate was barricaded and at least 100 police personnel were posted outside it, the Tibetan protesters tried to barge into the consulate.
Security personnel managed to bring the situation under control, even as the Tibetans shouted anti-China slogans and were arrested immediately.
Police dragged some of the protesters by force and hauled them away in a van.
Tibetan activists are seeking an end to Chinas repression in Tibet.
In New Delhi, an all religion meet was organized at Rajghat, where a replica of the Olympic torch was displayed.
In Varanasi, protesters took to the streets on bicycles shouting anti-China slogans. Around 49 Tibetans, symbolizing 49th year of the Tibetan uprising shouted slogans like ‘We Want Justice’ and ‘Long Live Dalai Lama’ as they cycled through the streets.
“We want the Indian Government to stand beside us and to raise a voice for Tibet. We really don’t want the Indian Government to stand there as a mute spectator. And, we urge strongly to the Indian Government to be brave and to make a voice for Tibet. This is what we really want to demand from the Indian Government,” said Tsering, a protester. (ANI)
- Tibetans protest as Wen begins India visit (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Wen Jiabao visit: Delhi Police take five Tibetan protesters into custody - Dec 16, 2010
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- 14 Tibetans detained for protesting against India-China talks - Mar 01, 2012
- Ahead of Hu's visit, India, China hold talks (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Seven more Tibetan protestors arrested - Mar 30, 2012
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Losar will be a muted in McLeodganj this year - Feb 18, 2012
- China seeks India's reassurance on Tibet issue - May 28, 2010
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- China doubts Dalai Lama's retirement - Mar 10, 2011
- Tibetan origin woman held for trying to get fake Nepali passport - Aug 01, 2011
- Tibetan women commemorate uprising day against Chinese aggression - Mar 12, 2010
- Tibetan monk dies after setting himself on fire in China protest - Aug 15, 2011
- Tibetans fined for unauthorised protest - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: bicycles, china, chinese consulate, dalai lama, indian government, New Delhi, olympic torch relay, protester, protesters, rajghat, religion, repression, security personnel, situation under control, slogans, spectator, tibet, tibetan activists, tibetan uprising