Three Indians in British Open junior squash semisJanuary 5th, 2009 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Sheffield, Jan 5 (IANS) Three Indians, Dipika Pallikal, Kush Kumar and Mahesh Mangaonkar reached the semi-finals in their respective sections at the British Open junior squash championship here.Kush Kumar, winner at last week’s Scottish Junior, defeated higher ranked Daniel Polichunk from Israel in an enthralling five-set match in the quarter-finals of the boys under-13 category Sunday night.
Daniel seemed to have the match wrapped up after winning the first two games and was leading 5-0 in the third, as both showed their skill level, playing some brilliant drives and kills in addition to their spectacular retrieving.
It was sheer grit and determination that saw Kush fight back in the third, winning 11 points in succession. In the fourth game, Kush picked up the pace and played some excellent cross court drops to ensure the match went into the decider.
In the fifth, Kush held on to his 5-1 lead to advance to the semi-finals. Earlier in the morning Kush had defeated Cheuk Hin Lo from Hong Kong in four games.
Meanwhile, both Dipika Pallikal (girls under-19) and Mahesh Mangaonkar (boys under-15) also advanced to the semi-finals.
Mahesh defeated two Egyptians en route while Dipika dropped a game to England’s Kimberly Hay on the way to victory.
Saumya Karki and Anaka Alankamony lost in the quarter-final to the top seed and second seed respectively, in the girls under-15 category. Neither girl had any answer to their Egyptian opponents who applied pressure on them from the start.
In the girls under-13 section, Pankhuri Malhotra also lost in the quarter-final, going down in four games to Egyptian Adel Radwa.
Boys u-13,Round 3: Kush Kumar bt Cheuk Hin Lo (HK) 11-2, 11-6, 3-11, 11-7 (23 mins). QF: Kush Kumar bt Daniel Polichunk (Isr) 8-11, 8-11, 11-5, 11-5, 11-9.
Boys u-15, QF: Mahesh Mangaonkar bt Osama Khalifa (Egy) 11-1, 12-10, 11-9 (32 m)
Girls u-19, QF: Dipika Pallikal bt Kimberly Hay (Eng) 11-5, 5-11, 11-9, 11-4 (24 m).
Girls u-15, Round 3: Saumya Karki bt Haidi Lala (Eng) 11-7, 11-7, 12-10 (23 m); Anaka Alankamony bt Brogan Lane (Eng) 11-3, 14-12, 11-6 (21 m). QF: Saumya Karki lost to Kanzy El Dafraway (Egy) 5-11, 11-13, 7-11 (20 m); Anaka Alankamony lost to Nour El Sherbeny (Egy) 3-11, 6-11, 6-11 (17 m).
Girls u-13, QF: Pankhuri Malhotra lost to Adel Radwa (Eng) 11-7, 7-11, 7-11, 12-14 (31 m).
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- Ashita puts out second seed Akanksha in Indian Open squash - Sep 08, 2011
- World Junior Squash: Anaka, Mahesh in last eight - Jul 10, 2012
- Dixit, Anaka lead way into national squash semis - Oct 27, 2010
- Tandon shocks top seed Dixit for junior squash title - Oct 29, 2010
- Kush upsets Alsaraj for junior squash title - Sep 10, 2011
- Winning start by Indian teams at Asian Squash - May 02, 2012
- National Squash championship: Malik ousts Jangra - Dec 08, 2011
- Anaka, Joshna enter semis in Chennai Open - May 24, 2012
- Squash: Anaka, Kush annex Asian titles - Jun 24, 2012
- Shah, Malhotra score upset wins in junior squash - Oct 28, 2010
- Three Indians in Asian Squash finals - Jun 22, 2012
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Anaka Alankamony bags Asian squash gold - Jun 26, 2011
- Anaka in quarterfinals of British Open junior squash - Jan 04, 2012