Three Indian boxers qualify for OlympicsMarch 23rd, 2008 - 7:31 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) Three Indian boxers - Vijender, Dinesh Kumar and Jitender - booked their place in the 2008 Beijing Olympics during the Asian qualifiers in Astana, Kazakhstan. Doha Asian Games bronze medallist Vijender (75 kg) and Dinesh (81 kg) won their semi-final bouts to qualify for the mega-event.
Jitender (51) became the latest to qualify after winning the third place play-off match against Castro Godfrey of Philippines Sunday.
With the three, the number of Indian boxers qualifying for the Olympics has gone up to five. Earlier A.L. Lakra (57kg) and Akhil Kumar (54kg) ensured their berths.
“In the semi-finals, Vijender defeated Iran’s Amiri Homayon 19-13. Vijender trailed by one point in the first round, two points in the second and one point in the third round. However, in the fourth round he played intelligently to emerge a clear winner by six points,” IABF secretary general Muralidharan Raja said in a statement.
Dinesh outscored Mandakhbayar of Mongolia in the third round.
Vijender will clash with South Korean Cho Deok Jin and Dinesh will meet Ghorbani Mehdi of Iran in the title round.
Another pugilist Dilbagh Singh (69kg) - is also in contention to qualify for the games.
Dilbagh will have to win his final bout against a Turkmenistani. Only the gold medallist in this category will qualify for Beijing Games.
Manoj (64kg) and Pravin (91-plus kg) lost their semi-final bouts and crashed out of the qualifying race.
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Indian boxers Vijender, Dinesh qualify for Olympics - Mar 23, 2008
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Shiva youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics - Apr 11, 2012
- Boxer Vijender qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 08, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh in semis, Amandeep out in quarters - Nov 22, 2010
- World Boxing Championships: Krishan settles for bronze - Oct 08, 2011
- Boxers Shiva, Sangwan strike gold at Olympic qualifier - Apr 12, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: World No.1 Vijender in finals - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: 2008 beijing olympics, akhil kumar, amiri, asian games, berths, bouts, bronze medallist, dinesh kumar, final bout, gold medallist, indian boxers, jitender, manoj, mehdi, muralidharan, pravin, pugilist, qualifying for the olympics, semi finals, six points