Three Indian boxers in finals of Asian meetJune 12th, 2009 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) India’s Nanao Singh, Suranjoy Singh and Jai Bhagawan are just one step away from winning golds at the Asian Elite Men’s Boxing Championships at Zhuhai, China.
However, Beijing Olympic bronze medallist Vijender Singh crashed out of the semifinals along with Jitender Singh, Dinesh Kumar and Paramjit Samota, finishing with bronze medals Friday.
Nanao (48 kgs), a gold medalist at the world youth championship, defeated Nyambayar Tugstogt of Mongolia 15-7.
Nanao, who was trailing 3-4 after the first round, upped the ante in the second to end with 9-5. The Indian was clinical in the third round to ensure a meeting with Thai Pongprayoon Keaw in the finals Saturday.
It was a narrow win for Suranjoy (51 kgs), who defeated Thailand’s Ruenroeng Amnaj 4-2, and now takes on local favourite Li Chao of China.
Jai Bhagwan (60 kgs), after being tied 0-0 after the first round against Kazakh Zhailuov Gani, opened up a 5-2 lead in the second round. He scored two more points in the third round to finish at 7-2. He will clash with Hudayberdiev Serdar of Turkmenistan for the gold medal.
Vijender lost to China’s Zhang Jianting 8-11. After losing the first round, the Indian came back strongly in the second round but the Chinese held on to end at 7-6. The Chinese maintained his supremacy in the third round.
Jitender (54kgs) despite a 4-2 lead in the first round against Chinese Ma Yunhao, squandered the lead in the second round, 4-7. He finally went down 4-10.
Dinesh Kumar(81 kgs) lost to Rasulov Elshod of Uzbekistan 4-13 while Paramjit Samota
(91 kg) went down 1-15 to Abdullaev Sardor from Uzbekistan.
- Three more Indian boxers enter semifinals of Asian meet - Jun 10, 2009
- Indian boxers off to a good start in Asian meet - Jun 07, 2009
- IBF announces probables for CWG, Asian Games - Jul 22, 2010
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Suranjoy wins gold at the Asian Boxing Championships - Jun 13, 2009
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Vikas, Dinesh in final; bronze for Suranjoy, Paramjeet (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender and Suranjoy in semis; Amandeep in quarters - Nov 20, 2010
- World Boxing Championships: Manoj, Dinesh in prequarters - Oct 02, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- CWG boxing: Vijender knocked out; Suranjoy, Manoj, Paramjit in finals (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2010
- Vijender stuns world champion in Asian boxing meet - Jun 09, 2009
- CWG Boxing: Vijender moves into semis, Akhil crashes out - Oct 11, 2010
- Vijender to spearhead India's CWG boxing challenge - Aug 31, 2010
- CWG Boxing: India win three gold (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: abdullaev, beijing, bhagawan, bronze medallist, bronze medals, chao, dinesh kumar, elite men, gani, gold medal, gold medalist, indian boxers, jai, kazakh, nanao, New Delhi, olympic bronze, serdar, world youth championship, zhuhai china