Thousands participate in Delhi Half MarathonNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:59 am ICT by admin
Rwanda’s Diudone Disi and Ethiopian Deriba Alemu won in men’s and women’s categories respectively at the third Vodafone Delhi Half Marathon here on Sunday morning.
World number six Disi completed the 21-kilometer race in one hour and 43 seconds, while Alemu took little over one hour 10 minutes to win the race, ending the Kenyan dominance established during the last two editions of the half marathon.
Kenya’s Isaac Macharia and world number three Wilson Kiprotich came second and third respectively in the men’s race.
In women’s category, another Ethiopian Atsede Habtambu came second (1:10:36), while Kenya’s Alice Timbill finished third (1:10:40).
The event also saw other races like the senior citizens’ run, wheelchair event and great Delhi run.
“The race was very good. It was not so steep, nor downhill and was very short. I could run more but it is okay. Everything was well organised,” said Mike, a German, who participated in the wheelchair event.
Suresh Kalmadi, President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), also present at the event, said: “The Commonwealth Games are in 2010 and all these events are a build-up to it. The Commonwealth Games will not be in the stadium but outside the city and the people in the city will have to make the games great.”
Last year’s top Indian finisher Ram Singh Yadav once again finished the race earliest among Indian participants. He ended 16th with a time of one hour, six minutes and nine seconds.
Yadav said: “I am happy with my performance.”
The total prize money of the event was 160,000 dollars. (ANI)
- Rwanda's Disi, Ethiopian Alemu win Delhi Half Marathon - Nov 14, 2007
- Olympics: Ram Singh finishes 78th in men's marathon - Aug 12, 2012
- Tsegay favourite to win Delhi Half Marathon - Sep 10, 2012
- 30,000 expected to run in Delhi half-marathon - Nov 18, 2010
- Ethiopians start favourite in 10K race - May 26, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon: Kenya's Moiben, Ethiopia's Abeyo win (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Bangalore's 10k race to see elite athletes - May 11, 2012
- Delhi ready for half marathon, 2009 champion Merga pulls out - Nov 20, 2010
- Delhi gets ready for Airtel Half Marathon - Oct 31, 2009
- Big star cast for Airtel Delhi Half Marathon - Nov 26, 2011
- Muthai, Aselefech win Delhi Half Marathon (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Marathon lends colour, star power to Mumbai streets (Third Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- US claim basketball gold, Ugandan marathon (Overall World Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon: A carnival on the streets of Bollywood country (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Ethiopians rule at Mumbai marathon (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
Tags: commonwealth games, disi, half marathon, home minister, indian olympic association, indian participants, ioa, kenya, kilometer race, ram singh, suresh kalmadi, vodafone, wheelchair event, win the race, yadav