Thirty-six teams in fray for hockey nationalsSeptember 21st, 2012 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 21 (IANS) In all 36 teams, including defending champions Haryana, have confirmed their participation in the second men’s senior National hockey championship commencing here Sunday under the aegis of Hockey India.
The teams have been divided into eight groups for a preliminary league at the end of which the toppers in each pool will qualify for the knock-out quarter-finals which are scheduled for Sep 30, followed by semi-finals slated for Oct 1 and the final for Oct 2.
The line-up includes five institutional teams Air India, Services, Combined Universities, Indian Railways and the Delhi-based Sashastra Seema Bal.
The matches will be played at two astro-turf venues, the hockey stadium in the city and the nearby MEG grounds, according to Hockey Karnataka secretary and former India goalkeeper AB Subbaiah, who briefed the media here Friday.
While Tamil Nadu’s Mohammedd Muneer is the tournament director, Hockey India’s selectors B.P. Govinda, Balbir Singh and Syed Ali besides government nominees Harbinder Singh and Dilip Tirkey will be attending the event.
The tournament is being supported by the government of Karnataka in association with Cafe Coffee Day, Namma Metro and Micro Labs.
Group A:Haryana, Maharashtra, Puducherry, Bengal, Hockey Bhopal
Group B:Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Mizoram
Group C:Punjab, Services, J&K;, Chhattisgarh, Arunachal Pradesh
Group D:Jharkhand, Chandigarh, Uttarakhand, Goa, Sashastra Seema Bal
Group E:Air India, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Nagaland
Group F:Indian Railways, Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Tripura
Group G:Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Gujarat
Group H:Bihar, Combined Universities, Manipur, Andaman & Nicobar.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Hockey nationals: Holders Haryana drawn with Bhopal - Sep 20, 2012
- HI, IHF in talks on unification - Jun 19, 2011
- Nepali women held with Rs.20 lakh drugs - Sep 29, 2011
- Four troopers injured in villagers' attack - Apr 11, 2011
- Maharashtra knocked out, Punjab thrash Bihar in junior hockey nationals - Dec 19, 2011
- Alarm after 40 held on Indo-Nepal border - May 01, 2012
- Plans to revive hockey - in hues of pink and blue - Aug 17, 2012
- Three troopers arrested in Bihar - May 27, 2012
- Three Nepali women held with cannabis - Sep 13, 2011
- South Korean couple get three months jail for illegal entry - May 30, 2011
Tags: air india, arunachal pradesh, asian news, balbir singh, chhattisgarh, dilip, government of karnataka, himachal pradesh, hockey stadium, india services, indian railways, institutional teams, micro labs, muneer, national hockey championship, seema, syed ali, tamil nadu, tirkey, uttarakhand