The title was the best way to make a comeback: SaniaFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 2 (IANS) India’s star tennis player Sania Mirza said Monday that winning the Australian Open mixed doubles title with Mahesh Bhupathi was the best way she could make a comeback in the international circuit.The duo was give a rousing welcome at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport Monday after they became the first Indian pair to win a Grand Slam mixed doubles.
“It is very special to win your first Grand Slam. After the injury it is a great way to come back. I am just living in the moment for now,” said Sania.
For Sania, who was making a comeback from a wrist injury, it was her maiden Grand Slam title and also the first by an Indian woman. The injury forced the 22-year-old Hyderabadi out of international circuit for most part of 2008 and she was out of top-100 in singles rankings.
Sania had also won the junior girls doubles at Wimbledon in 2003 with Russian Alisa Kleybanova.
For Bhupathi it was his 11th Grand Slam and seventh mixed doubles title. “We played very well. We are excited and happy to come home for some rest. Yes, definitely we will continue this pair,” he said.
The 34-year-old Bhupathi also finished runners-up in the men’s doubles with Mark Knowles of the Bahamas. They lost the title clash to Bob and Mike Bryan of the US.
- Australian Open champions return to rousing welcome(Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- India pin hopes on doubles at Australian Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Tricky draw for Paes-Sania - Aug 01, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi claim maiden French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Bhupathi slams AITA over its pairing policies - Jan 19, 2012
- Bhupathi's unique mixed doubles record - Jun 08, 2012
- Australian Open: Paes-Bhupathi in final, face Bryan brothers (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Sania-Bhupathi crash out of Australian Open - Jan 27, 2012
- French title will not get Sania-Bhupathi London ticket - Jun 08, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- AITA confident of getting Sania to play in Olympics - May 30, 2012
- Paes-Bhupathi lose Australian Open final to Bryan brothers (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Sania first Indian to reach women's doubles Grand Slam final - Jun 02, 2011
- Maken questions AITA's decision to pick one team - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: alisa kleybanova, australian open, australian open mixed doubles, bob and mike, bob and mike bryan, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, feb 2, grand slam title, indian pair, indian woman, junior girls, living in the moment, mahesh bhupathi, mark knowles, rousing welcome, sania mirza, singles rankings, star tennis player, title clash, wrist injury