The Rugby World Cup moment that broke English fans heartsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:38 am ICT by admin
In Australia, however, Dickinson is a hero. Australian rugby fans still smarting over their team’s quarter-final defeat against England, have swamped online message boards and radio chat shows with messages of support for their referee, reports the Daily Mail.
Dickinson was referred to as “the best TV ref in the world”.
Writing on the social networking site Facebook, Catherine Kiernan said: “Mr. Dickinson has denied the try to England, allowing South Africa to win the Rugby World Cup. Woo Hoo! The English team are gutted hee hee.”
“Obviously when we can’t win, Pommy bashing is our number one sport,” wrote Keith from New South Wales . “Let’s face it, it was going to be the only thing we have shown any strengths in at this cup.”
Scores of fans described Dickinson as an “absolute legend”. Their English counterparts were less complimentary.
“England were cheated out of the World Cup by an Australian,” supporter Ken Ashby said on another internet forum.
“The world saw the same video footage as him and no one could, with any degree of integrity reach the same conclusion. The reputation of rugby will be forever tarnished.”
The England team refused to criticize the television referee, instead admitting the better team won.
England’s fly-half and talisman Jonny Wilkinson said: “The South Africa team deserved to win - they’ve been fantastic all tournament. Big respect to them - it’s well-deserved.
“It’s disappointing, we gave it the best we had and at times we got close enough - and we didn’t feel we were going to lose.”
Of the try that was disallowed, he added: “It looked OK, but I’m sure the guy making the decision made a good one.
“Maybe in other games it would have gone our way - but this one didn’t.” (ANI)
- India, South Africa outstanding teams: Ponting - Feb 11, 2011
- New Zealand sees record attendance for Rugby World Cup - Oct 03, 2011
- Ali Bacher bats for video technology in football - Jul 04, 2010
- Davies, Dharmasena to officiate in World Cup opener - Feb 02, 2011
- Russia wants to be rugby superpower - May 13, 2012
- England's bowling attack is 'the best in the world': Border - Jan 16, 2011
- England ready for Oz Ashes onslaught in Perth: Strauss - Dec 15, 2010
- India, South Africa will have plenty to prove (Preview) - Mar 11, 2011
- Groom more youngsters like Kohli, say Indian fans - Mar 25, 2012
- Rugby World Cup: Australia scrape past South Africa - Oct 09, 2011
- US captain cited for dangerous play during Rugby World Cup - Sep 16, 2011
- Taufel, Gould to officiate in high-octane India-Pakistan semis - Mar 27, 2011
- Spirited Irish fans back minnows against England - Mar 03, 2011
- A cafe to satiate cricket appetite (World Cup Diary) - Mar 29, 2011
- New Zealand face daunting task against Sri Lanka (Preview) - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: absolute legend, australian rugby, chat shows, cup scores, england team, english counterparts, english fans, facebook, fly half, jonny wilkinson, mail, referee reports, rugby fans, rugby world cup, social networking, south africa team, video footage