The Queen congratulates British team for Olympic gloryAugust 24th, 2008 - 2:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 24 (ANI): The Queen has sent a message of congratulations to the British competitors for their success at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
Her Majesty said that she had followed the endeavours of the British and Commonwealth athletes who took part in Beijing “with great interest and admiration”.
“The golden triumphs of the present British team can only serve as further inspiration to those who will be working hard over the next four years to make the London Games a shining example of Olympic success, Telegraph quoted The Queen, as adding.
On Aug 23, British medal haul saw Tim Brabants win a bronze in the 500m kayak and Sarah Stevenson getting a bronze in the taekwondo.
It brought the tally to 19 gold, 13 silver and 15 bronze a total of 47 that put Britain in fourth place in the medal table.
Her Majestys statement in full: “As the Olympic Games in Beijing draw to a close, I have been particularly impressed by the British and Commonwealth athletes who have taken part in this memorable competition and who have contributed so much to the spirit of these remarkable Games in the various disciplines.
Like so many people around the world, I have followed their endeavours with great interest and admiration. To all the participants, and to everyone who has supported them so well, I send my warmest congratulations.
As a nation we now look forward to holding the Olympic Games in London in 2012.
The golden triumphs of the present British team can only serve as further inspiration to those who will be working hard over the next four years to make the London Games a shining example of Olympic success.” (ANI)
- Britain's taekwondo athlete Stevenson takes Olympic oath - Jul 28, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- Olympics: Greece leads players' parade in opening ceremony - Jul 28, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Afghanistan's first Olympic medallist eyes an encore - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- India at Olympics: Indians abroad have high expectations (With Image) - Jul 21, 2012
- Sports minister gives away cash awards to 158 athletes - May 10, 2012
- Indian sportspersons have gone to London thinking of gold - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia backs all 24 shooters to win Olympic medals - Jun 26, 2012
- China to send 396-strong team to London Olympics - Jul 10, 2012