The prince and the showgirl - a love story endsSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi’s death Thursday brought to an end an enduring romance. When Sharmila Tagore tied the knot with the erstwhile royal 42 years ago, it was not only a marriage of cricket and cinema, but also one that broke many stereotypes.
He was a Nawab from a well-known Muslim family and she was a Hindu who belonged to the illustrious Tagore family. As she was to admit many times in later years, Pataudi, popularly known as Tiger, proved to be an exceptionally liberal companion.
Be it her wearing a bikini in “An Evening In Paris” in 1967, when they were courting, or taking up glamorous roles after marriage in 1969 and later motherhood - he always stood by her, always the ideal partner.
She once said in an interview, “I haven’t given up anything (after marrying Tiger). He is very liberal in his views. I’ve gained a lot of experience and gained another culture, cuisine, and way of dressing. I’ve benefited a lot.”
Their marriage was not expected to last - she converted, becoming Ayesha Sultana - but they proved naysayers wrong.
She once told a reporter, “If Tiger and I make attempts to promote harmony, I do not know how far we will succeed. People will say that I am not a Muslim and that Tiger is a Hindu fanatic.”
The couple had three children - Saif, Saba and Soha - but Tiger never stopped her from carrying on in showbiz. In fact, she gave most of her hits after marriage and motherhood.
Many years down the line, when he was arrested for poaching, the actress stood by her husband like a rock.
Death may have snatched away the man from the woman, but like an advertisement they did together, in popular imagination - Pataudi and Sharmila will live on together.
- Sharmila-Pataudi made perfect couple, say designers - Sep 23, 2011
- Mike Brearley, Ted Dexter, Ian Chappell for Pataudi Memorial Lecture - Dec 28, 2011
- Being a nawab is huge responsibility: Saif - Nov 02, 2011
- Amid chaos of mourners, Pataudi laid to rest - Sep 23, 2011
- Sharmila's transition from actress to 'begum' - Jan 01, 2012
- Pataudi's funeral at family burial ground - Sep 23, 2011
- My father would've been touched, says Saif - Sep 23, 2011
- Tiger gave Indian cricket 'rockstar' image: Big B - Sep 23, 2011
- Master of style Tiger Pataudi is dead - Sep 22, 2011
- Saif annointed 10th Nawab of Pataudi - Oct 31, 2011
- SRK remembers Pataudi as friend's friend - Sep 23, 2011
- Pakistan cricket mourns Pataudi's death - Sep 23, 2011
- Kareena mum over wedding date, converting to Islam - Sep 13, 2012
- Bollywood mourns Tiger Pataudi's death - Sep 22, 2011
- Tiger played with straight bat on and off the field (Obituary) - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: ali khan, evening in paris, glamorous roles, hindu, knot, love story, mansur ali khan pataudi, motherhood, muslim family, nawab, naysayers, New Delhi, prince and the showgirl, rock death, saba, sharmila tagore, showbiz, soha, stereotypes, sultana