The historical truth behind the NBA lotteryMay 20th, 2009 - 11:09 pm ICT by GD
From the time, Patrick Ewing was landed by the New York Knicks in the first ever NBA lottery, accusations have been made that the NBA lottery being rigged. The reason behind the accusations being that the lottery was being interfered with so that the outcome is in league with the NBA’s business plans.
The history may repeat itself, if the “big man” Blake Griffin ends up with the Oklahoma City Thunder, his home state team. Blake being the number one pick in this year’s NBA lottery draft, his chances of being traded is almost next to nil, so the lottery provides the Oklahoma City Thunder with the only available line to have Griffin in their team.
Here are some historical facts about the NBA lottery, complied by Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal, which gives one a feeling that the accusations of the lottery being rigged could be very true.
* LeBron James of Ohio origin ending up with the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA season of 2003.
* Last year, that is in the NBA lottery of 2008, the Chicago Bulls chance of winning the lottery was approximately 1.7%, but even with a such slim chance they managed to pull it off, at the end of the day winning the rights to Derrick Rose, the product of the Bulls itself.
* The NBA lottery was originally devised so that the team with the worst record for the season could have the best of chance of winning the lottery. But as per the history of the NBA lottery, this has happened on two times since the last 15 NBA lottery draft.
- US picks 12-man basketball squad for Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Miami Heat Thrash Cleveland Cavaliers In Historic Game - Dec 03, 2010
- Miami Heat win second NBA title - Jun 22, 2012
- NBA Free Agency: Rudy Gay Goes To Memphis Grizzlies At $80 million - Jul 02, 2010
- Cleveland Cavaliers Fans Boo LeBron James - Dec 03, 2010
- Dallas wins NBA finals Game 4 - Jun 08, 2011
- LeBron James Possibly Becomes The Most Desired NBA Free Agent - Jul 02, 2010
- Jesse Jackson Criticizes Dan Gilbert's Open Letter - Jul 12, 2010
- Miami Heat take 2-1 series lead in NBA finals - Jun 18, 2012
- Cleveland Cavaliers Outplay Boston Celtics - Oct 28, 2010
- LeBron James' Faces The Heat - Jul 09, 2010
- Top ten NBA free agents of 2010 - Jul 02, 2010
- Cleveland Cavaliers Owner Dan Gilbert Says He Does Not "Regret" About The Letter - Oct 28, 2010
- Evans wins slam dunk, Love shoots down three-point contest - Feb 26, 2012
- LeBron James gets third NBA most valuable player citation - May 13, 2012
Tags: accusations, chicago bulls, cleveland cavaliers, derrick, griffin, lebron james, memphis commercial appeal, nba lottery, nba season, new york knicks, oklahoma city, patrick ewing, slim chance, time patrick, truth, winning the lottery