Tharanga and Dilshan smash tons in Sri Lanka’s 327/6 (Lead)March 10th, 2011 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Pallekele (Sri Lanka), March 10 (IANS) Openers Upul Tharanga and Tillakaratne Dilshan set a World Cup record for the first-wicket as Sri Lanka scored 327 for six in 50 overs in their Group A match against Zimbabwe here Thursday.
Tharanga (133) and Dilshan (144) piled up 282 runs for the first wicket after they were put in by Zimbabwe captain Elton Chigumbura at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium. They broke the record of 194 runs set by Pakistan openers Saeed Anwar and Wajahatullah Wasti in the 1999 World Cup.
Tharanga and Dilshan got their centuries in contrasting styles. Dilshan got to his hundred in 95 balls while Tharanga got it in 122 balls.
Dilshan played aggressively right from the start while Tharanga played a patient innings and waited for the bad balls.
The duo were well set to carry their bat through, but Zimbabwe paceman Chris Mpofu struck in the 45th over to remove Tharanga caught by Chigumbura to break the partnership, which fell four runs short of the all-time best first-wicket stand of 286 set by Tharanga and Sanath Jayasuriya against England in Leeds in 2006.
In the next over, spinner Prosper Usteya struck to remove Dilshan caught by Tinashe Panyangara. Dilshan hit 16 fours and a six in his 131 ball knock while Tharanga struck 17 fours in his 141 ball innings.
After the openers departed, the flow of runs slowed and Sri Lankan 300 came at the end of over-47. Mpofu picked up three wickets in the 48th over and ended with figures of four for 62 from his seven overs.
- Record first-wicket stand helps Sri Lanka crush Zimbabwe (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: Sri Lanka vs. Zimbabwe - Mar 10, 2011
- Zimbabwe opt to bowl against Sri Lanka - Mar 10, 2011
- Dilshan, Tharanga set World Cup records (Match highlights) - Mar 11, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: Sri Lanka vs. Zimbabwe (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka amass 327/6 against Zimbabwe - Mar 10, 2011
- India restrict Sri Lanka to 236/9 (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Will give Sri Lanka a fight if we have wickets in hand: Zimbabwe captain - Mar 09, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: Zimbabwe vs. New Zealand, Group A - Mar 04, 2011
- Road to World Cup Final - Apr 02, 2011
- India-Sri Lanka tie their ODI tri-series encounter (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2012
- Kohli stars in India's 21-run win over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Dilshan ton earns Sri Lanka the tri-series trophy - Jun 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka thrash Netherlands in World Cup warm-up match - Feb 12, 2011
- Bangladesh restrict Sri Lanka to 232 - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: anwar, balls, centuries, cricket stadium, dilshan, elton chigumbura, international cricket, jayasuriya, leeds, match, pakistan, partnership, sanath jayasuriya, sri lanka, sri lankan, wasti, wicket, wickets, world cup record, zimbabwe