Thapa India’s first casualty in Olympic boxingJuly 28th, 2012 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) India’s young medal hope Shiva Thapa made a first round exit in the men’s 56kg category of the 2012 London Olympics at the Excel Arena here Saturday after he was given a severe beating by Mexico’s Oscar Valdez Fierro.
The 18-year-old, the youngest Indian boxer to qualify for the Olympics, saw his dream crushed by the Mexican fighter, who defeated him 14-9.
Thapa lost the first round 2-4 but showed his mettle as he came back strongly taking the second 4-3. However, the third round was a one-way traffic as the 21-year-old Mexican decimated the Indian fighter 7-3.
Shiva became the first Indian boxer to be knocked out of the mega-event.
The young prodigy from Assam was expected to put on a good show, especially after winning the gold medal at the Olympic qualifying tournament in Astana.
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Vijender, Kashyap and Ghosh keep India's spirits up (Overall Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Soumyajit bring hope on a gloomy day for India (India round-up) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxers Vijender, Jai Bhagwan shine (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- India's boxing future bright: Vijender - Apr 14, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxer Sangwan loses a bout he had 'won' - Jul 30, 2012
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Shiva youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics - Apr 11, 2012
- Boxers Shiva, Sangwan strike gold at Olympic qualifier - Apr 12, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, assam, boxer, boxing london, first casualty, gold medal, India, mettle, mexico, olympic boxing, olympic qualifying tournament, olympics, prodigy, qualify for the olympics, s young, shiva, thapa, traffic