Thailand won eight SEA Games titles in FootballNovember 26th, 2008 - 4:32 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Thailand have won an eight SEA Games title from the year 1993 to 2007 yet the Thais can’t say they are the major force in South East Asia as the football competition at the biennial event is an Under-23 tournament.
Now, Thailand is going to prove they are number one in the region throgh winning the AFF Suzuki Cup/Asean Cup which is for full national side. Both the Thai’s and Singapore have won each of the tournament three time. Although Thais won the championship five years ago and the Singaporeans have been winning each of the tournament for the last to editions.
Last year finals, Singapore drew with Thailand in Bangkok with for an aggregate 3-2 victory at Supachalasai stadium. The Asean Cup is the smallest international event for Thailand, it is still difficult for the kingdom to win as a couple of nations in the region have made fast progress over the past few years.
Peter Reid’s first tournament to coach Thailand was in September and his task in the Asean Cup is likely to play a bigger role. A bigger task for an English coach because every teams wants to beat Thailand.
The tournament will be co-hosted by Thailand and Indonesia next month. Group A comprises Indonesia (hosts), Singapore, Burma and Cambodia, and Group B features Thailand (hosts), Vietnam, Malaysia and Laos.
Thailand will begin their Asean Cup campaign on December 6 against Vietnam at Rajamangala stadium and Reid is confident that his men will finish off the Vietnamese.
- Thailand defend ASEAN U-13 Cup football title (With Image) - Jul 15, 2012
- Indian U-13 team awaits full squad in Bangkok - Jul 14, 2011
- Indonesia one step closer to Asean Cup final after defeating the Philippines - Dec 17, 2010
- India lose 0-2 to Thailand A in ASEAN U-13 football - Jul 15, 2011
- Thailand A wins Yamaha ASEAN Cup - Jul 17, 2011
- Kolkata boys gear up for ASEAN Cup challenge - Jul 12, 2012
- ASEAN football: India U-13 team go down to Vietnam 2-5 - Jul 16, 2011
- Thailand seeks Indian investments - Jan 25, 2012
- ASEAN Cup: India knocked out by Vietnam - Jul 14, 2012
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- Honour sought for Malaysian Indian football coach - Jan 01, 2011
- Malaysia beats Indonesia 3-0 in first leg of AFF Cup final - Dec 27, 2010
- Indian envoy meets Indonesian parliamentary speaker - Jun 12, 2012
- US wants close ties with ASEAN - Jul 11, 2012
- Indian team announced for junior women's Asia Cup - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: aff, asean cup, bangkok, biennial event, burma, cambodia, cup campaign, english coach, football competition, indonesia, laos, peter reid, rajamangala stadium, sea games, singapore, singaporeans, south east asia, thais, victory, vietnam