Test rankings: England on top, India thirdApril 7th, 2012 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 7 (IANS) England will start its domestic international season as the No.1 Test side in the ICC Test Championship after a two-Test draw with Sri Lanka helped it retain the top spot.
England defeated Sri Lanka by eight wickets here Saturday. India are joint third with Australia, five points behind England and South Africa who are tied at 116 points.
England entered the two-Test series against Sri Lanka with 118 ratings points. Though it conceded two points, England have been rated above South Africa due to decimal point calculations.
This is the second time in less than a month that England’s number one status has been at risk.
While this time gutsy on-field effort helped England, last month South Africa’s three Tests in New Zealand were marred by bad weather.
The threat to England’s No.1 status exists.
With the West Indies and South Africa touring England from May 17 to July 19, any series loss will mean England’s ranking will take a dive, provided Australia wins its series against the West Indies.
The Test Championship table, unlike the ODI Championship table, is updated only after the end of the series.
Sri Lanka has gained one rating point and moved to 99 - nine points behind fifth-placed Pakistan.
Now, only eight ratings points separate the top five sides, setting up an exciting 12 months of Test cricket when everyone will try to top the table by April 1 to win a cash reward of $450,000.
- India may slip to fourth spot in ICC Test rankings - Mar 30, 2012
- Australia goes ahead of India in Test rankings - Apr 29, 2012
- South Africa aim for clean sweep to claim No.1 ranking - Mar 06, 2012
- India drop to third place in ICC Test rankings - Jan 28, 2012
- England secure top spot in ICC Test championship table - Mar 11, 2012
- England maintain lead in Test rankings, India slip to 5th - Jul 14, 2012
- India rise to second spot in Test rankings - Nov 22, 2011
- Chanderpaul back as No.1 Test batsman - Apr 29, 2012
- India stays top-ranked Test side - Jul 30, 2010
- India maintains top spot in ICC Test Championship - Jan 07, 2011
- De Villiers, Clarke top-ranked Test batsmen; no Indian in top 10 - Mar 30, 2012
- Indial slip to third in ODI ranks after loss - Mar 17, 2012
- South Africa retains second spot in ICC Test ranking despite draws against Pak - Nov 25, 2010
- England consolidate their lead in Test rankings - Jun 12, 2012
- England deserve to be No.1 Test team: ICC - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: 12 months, april 1, bad weather, cash reward, colombo, decimal point, eight wickets, field effort, five points, odi championship, point calculations, second time, south africa, test championship, test cricket, test rankings, test series, test side, touring england, west indies