Terry’s last-gasp block helps Chelsea to draw with SpursDecember 23rd, 2011 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 23 (IANS) Chelsea captain John Terry blocked Tottenham Hotspur’s last shot with a desperate slide tackle late Thursday night and earned the Blues a 1-1 away draw in the Premier League’s last clash before Christmas.
Terry, who was charged Wednesday to have offended Queens Park Rangers player Anton Ferdinand with racist language, was given full support by manager Andre Villas-Boas, featuring in the starting 11 for this London derby.
The club and England captain responded well in the game, especially when he cleared Emmanuel Adebayor’s shot away on the line in stoppage time, ensuring his side earn a point at White Hart Lane.
The home side Tottenham made a dream start in the eighth minute. Adebayor, the lone striker up-front, capitalized on Gareth Bale’s grounded cross to net in the opening goal.
Chelsea, came back strongly to level the score after 15 minutes when England’s fullback Ashley Cole fed Daniel Sturridge with a low cross before a cool finish from the young striker.
Both sides failed to break the deadlock in the remaining 70 minutes. Chelsea’s Didier Drogba once hit the woodwork and Ramires also wasted a good chance after Juan Mata’s free-kick made him unmarked in the area.
After the 17th round fixtures, Hotspur stood third with 35 points but have a game in hand. Chelsea was still fourth, two points less than the city’s rival. Manchester City and United, both registered convincing victories Wednesday, and lead the table with 44 and 42 points respectively.
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- Adebayor, Terry call for goal-line technology - Apr 16, 2012
- Defoe extends contract with Tottenham till 2015 - Aug 31, 2012
- Manchester United stay in hunt as Chelsea suffer setback - Dec 27, 2011
- Lukaku contemplating loan move away from Chelsea - Mar 02, 2012
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
- Villas-Boas appointed Tottenham manager - Jul 03, 2012
- Chelsea, Arsenal win, Tottenham lose to Wigan - Aug 28, 2010
- Stoke City stun Tottenham in EPL, Sunderland stage dramatic win - Dec 12, 2011
- QPR's Ferdinand gets a bullet by post - Jan 28, 2012
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Last-minute thrillers render Chelsea win, Arsenal loss - Jan 03, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Drogba double takes Chelsea back to summit - Feb 08, 2010
Tags: anton ferdinand, ashley cole, captain john, convincing victories, daniel sturridge, didier drogba, eighth minute, emmanuel adebayor, england captain, free kick, fullback, john terry, juan mata, last gasp, queens park, queens park rangers, racist language, stoppage time, tottenham hotspur, white hart lane