Terry might quit national sideFebruary 4th, 2012 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 4 (IANS) Chelsea captain John Terry, who was stripped of his England captaincy by the English Football Association (FA), is contemplating to quit the national side in protest.
Terry has been charged with racially abusing Queens Park Ranger’s defender Anton Ferdinand and the court hearing will take place in July after the Euro 2012 end.
The Chelsea captain, who can continue to be selected for England, is considering his international future in the wake of the decision, the Guardian reported.
England manager Fabio Capello was left bewildered by the FA’s decision after the Italian publicly backed Terry for the captaincy for the European championships.
Capello also visited Terry at Chelsea’s Cobham training ground since he was charged with a racially aggravated public order offence to deliver the same message.
At 10 a.m. Friday Bernstein rang Terry to tell him that the board had decided to strip him of the captaincy, leaving Capello embarrassed and angry. The Italian has already confirmed that he would be leaving his post after the Euro.
The decision leaves the manager with a dilemma about who to choose as England’s captain for the tournament. Rio Ferdinand, elder brother of Anton, tweeted that he did not want to be considered and, while Steven Gerrard is the obvious candidate, the Liverpool player’s injury issues mean Capello will make backup plans.
- Capello on a collision course with FA on Terry - Feb 06, 2012
- Capello resigns as England manager - Feb 09, 2012
- Capello resigns, Stuart checks in as caretaker England boss - Feb 09, 2012
- FA likely to sack Terry as England captain - Feb 03, 2012
- Rio Ferdinand wishes new England captain Terry all the best - Mar 22, 2011
- Capello wants John Terry back as England captain - Mar 13, 2011
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
- I was 'pissed off' after England exit: Capello - Jul 26, 2012
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Ferdinand to play on for England despite Capello's captaincy snub - Mar 22, 2011
- England team right behind Terry: Crouch - Mar 24, 2011
- Ferdinand told he is still England captain - Mar 14, 2011
- Capello likely to let Terry remain England skipper - Feb 03, 2010
- I need to make a permanent decision on England captaincy: Capello - Mar 16, 2011
- Capello offers Ferdinand muddled apology for captaincy chaos - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: anton ferdinand, backup plans, bernstein, captain john, chelsea, cobham, court hearing, dilemma, elder brother, england manager, english football association, euro 2012, fabio capello, john terry, liverpool player, london feb, park ranger, queens park, rio ferdinand, steven gerrard