Terry hits back at Chelsea ’southern softies’ tagJanuary 26th, 2011 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 26(ANI): Chelsea captain John Terry has vowed that his team will prove they are no ’southern softies’ by reigniting their Premier League season.
The defending champions returned to the top four in the points table, and put themselves back in the title frame with a resounding 4-0 win against Bolton Wanderers on Monday.
“Our self-belief is back, but we’ve got some really tough games coming up at Everton and Sunderland now. People might say we’re southern softies as we’ve not won away for a while, but we’re certainly not that,” the Sun quoted Terry, as saying.
“We showed at Bolton we can mix it or stick it in the box. We’ve shown we can fight and earn the right to play,” he added.
Chelsea have won away only once in the league since late October.
Terry also offered strong words regarding the view that Chelsea’s senior players are ageing.
Terry, Ashley Cole, Nicolas Anelka, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba are all 30 or older.
“The age thing is annoying. Towards the end of last year I heard a lot of things about us showing great experience with the players we had in the squad, but three months later we’re all too old,” Terry said.
“Next year we’ll all be a year older so will really be in trouble. We’ve got players who are 30, 31, 32, but also some young blood coming through. It’s a great mix.”
“One thing you can’t take away from this group is our winning mentality, which rubs off on everyone who comes in,” he added. (ANI)
- Lampard hails Drogba for Chelsea's historic win - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Nicolas Anelka signs with China's Shanghai Shenhua - Dec 12, 2011
- Arsenal will feel Chelsea's full force on Monday: Cole - Dec 25, 2010
- Adebayor, Terry call for goal-line technology - Apr 16, 2012
- Drogba makes immediate impact in China - Jul 23, 2012
- Chelsea thrash Wigan to lift Premier League title - May 10, 2010
- Yakubu set to join Chinese club - Jun 29, 2012
- Terry on target as Chelsea beat United - Nov 09, 2009
- John Terry apologises for being sent off against Barca - Apr 25, 2012
- Bolton boss accuses referees of gifting Premier League title to Chelsea - Apr 14, 2010
- Lampard warns critics to brand Chelsea as 'pensioners' at their own risk - Sep 04, 2010
- Chelsea posses best attack of Premier League: Ancelotti - Apr 02, 2011
- 'Chelsea finding bad spell hard to live with', says Drogba - Feb 09, 2011
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: ageing, ashley cole, bolton wanderers, captain john, didier drogba, everton, frank lampard, games, john terry, london jan, mentality, nicolas anelka, premier league, self belief, softies, sun, terry ashley, three months, title frame, young blood