Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slursDecember 22nd, 2011 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 22 (IANS) England football and Chelsea FC captain John Terry could face criminal charges after the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed its intention to prosecute the centre-half over an alleged racist comment made towards Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand.
The CPS charged the player of a racially aggravated public order offence. The Chelsea leading defender is due before West London Magistrates’ Court Feb 1.
Terry was also visited by the Metropolitan Police Wednesday and was charged with “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress which was racially aggravated in accordance with section 28 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998″, Guardian reported.
“The decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and after careful consideration of all the evidence I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute this case. Mr Terry will appear before West London magistrates’ court on 1 February, 2012. He is now summoned with a criminal offence and has the right to a fair trial,” Alison Saunders, the chief crown prosecutor for London, was quoted as saying by the Guardian.
The England football captain was found guilty just one day after Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was handed an eight-match ban and a fine of 40,000 pounds by Football Association (FA).
Chelsea manager and club came out in full support of their captain.
“John has made it clear he denies the charge and is determined to do all he can to prove his innocence,” said the club on its website.
“Chelsea FC has always been fully supportive of John in this matter and there is no question that we will continue to be so.”
- QPR's Ferdinand gets a bullet by post - Jan 28, 2012
- Terry might quit national side - Feb 04, 2012
- Chelsea says no to Terry T-shirts - Dec 26, 2011
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Capello on a collision course with FA on Terry - Feb 06, 2012
- FA likely to sack Terry as England captain - Feb 03, 2012
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
- Terry tips Luiz to be future Chelsea captain - May 01, 2011
- Luis Suarez charged by FA for racial abuse - Nov 17, 2011
- John Terry apologises for being sent off against Barca - Apr 25, 2012
- Tainted Pak trio face up to 'nine years in jail' if found guilty - Feb 05, 2011
- Cole could quit Chelsea over disciplinary action - Feb 23, 2010
- Capello resigns as England manager - Feb 09, 2012
- Wikileaks founder Assange appeals for his release in UK - Dec 14, 2010
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
Tags: accordance with section, alison saunders, anton ferdinand, captain john, chelsea fc, chief crown prosecutor, crime and disorder act, crime and disorder act 1998, crown prosecution service, crown prosecutors, disorderly behaviour, england football, football captain, insulting words, london magistrates court, luis suarez, queens park rangers, racial slurs, realistic prospect, west london