Tensions rise in Madrid ahead of Copa del Rey finalMay 25th, 2012 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 25 (IANS) Controversy surrounds the celebration of Friday’s Copa del Rey final between Athletic Club Bilbao and FC Barcelona in the Spanish capital of Madrid following declarations by Esperanza Aguirre, president of the Madrid Regional Authority (Comunidad de Madrid.)
Three years ago the two sides met in the Cup final, which was played in Valencia and a large sector of the supporters from the independence seeking Basque and Catalan regions booed and whistled the Spanish national anthem when it was played before the game.
This year’s final is likely to see a repeat of the booing of the national anthem with fans already angry that Real Madrid have refused to cede the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, which has a 25,000 larger capacity that the Vicente Calderon Stadium, where the final is eventually to be played.
King Juan Carlos, who will not be at the final as he recovers from the broken hip which he suffered while on a private hunting expedition to Botswana, has also seen his popularity fall in Spain as a result of that expedition and his son Prince Felipe of Asturias will preside over the final.
In the expectation of the anthem being booed, Aguirre commented that should that happen the game should be suspended and played behind closed doors at a later date. These declarations have been criticized by all sides of the political spectrum, including her own Popular Party.
Barcelona president Sandro Rosell, commented that his club’s supporters should be free to express themselves in whatever way they consider best.
However, it is clear that Aguirre’s words have raised tensions in the capital and increased possible hostility towards the probably 50,000 visiting Athletic and Barca fans, who will travel for the game.
- Atletico Madrid to host Barca-Bilbao Copa del Rey final - Feb 25, 2012
- Athletic Bilbao, Barcelona vie in Copa del Rey final - May 24, 2012
- Still no venue for Copa del Rey final - Feb 14, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Barcelona-Real Madrid quarter-final clash likely - Dec 24, 2011
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Easy fixture for Real Madrid at home - Jan 27, 2012
- Real Madrid and Barca set for eighth 'Clasico' in 9 months - Jan 17, 2012
- Bilbao cruise into final of Copa del Rey - Feb 08, 2012
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Barca continue dominance over Real with Bernabeu win - Jan 19, 2012
- Barcelona's Alves to miss cup final with broken collar-bone - May 17, 2012
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Valencia draw Barcelona in Copa del Rey semis first leg - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: athletic club bilbao, booing, catalan regions, closed doors, controversy surrounds, copa del rey, esperanza aguirre, fc barcelona, hostility, hunting expedition, king juan carlos, political spectrum, prince felipe, real madrid, regional authority, sandro rosell, santiago bernabeu stadium, spanish capital, spanish national anthem, vicente calderon