Tennis stars to play for Haiti earthquake victimsJanuary 16th, 2010 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 16 (DPA) Roger Federer is to lead major tennis stars in a Sunday benefit for Haitian earthquake victims, with the world number one saying the idea came to him after seeing the tragedy unfold.
“I had the idea that we could do something to help Haiti after the tragic earthquake,” the Swiss player said Saturday.
“So I spoke to some other top players. They all said, ‘Yes, we should do something.’”
The benefit $9.3 per walk-up ticket will be staged in the showcase Rod Laver arena at Melbourne Park a day before the start of the first Grand Slam event of 2010.
“We’re going to play doubles or mixed doubles, also with top women’s players,” said Federer, a record 15-time Grand Slam champion. “I think it’s something as a tennis family we’re very happy to do.”
“I know it’s on the eve of the first Grand Slam of the season, so it’s for some not so easy maybe mentally to separate a few things,” Federer added. “But I think it’s a great initiative.”
- 'Rally for Relief' raises two million dollars for Oz flood victims - Jan 16, 2011
- Paes thanks Stepanek for helping him win Australian Open - Jan 28, 2012
- 2012 Australian Open to be richest Grand Slam - Oct 04, 2011
- Rod Laver backs Murray to overcome Djokovic in Australian Open final - Jan 29, 2011
- Grand Slam tennis: Nadal needs to be wary as Federer not dead yet - Jan 16, 2011
- Federer works off nerves at Haiti charity event - Jan 17, 2010
- Oz Open will be my 'last chance in life' to bag Grand Slam equivalent: Nadal - Jan 13, 2011
- Teen Tomic has embarrassed Nadal, says Laver - Jan 24, 2011
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Paes brings cheer on a day cricketers cave in - Jan 28, 2012
- Federer flies past Hewitt to Australian Open quarterfinal - Jan 25, 2010
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Oz Open: Nadal, Clijsters touted as favourites to win - Jan 16, 2011
- Djokovic predicts Nadal to be world's best ever tennis star - Sep 15, 2010
- Tomic could face sanctions after complaining about match time - Jan 22, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,