Tennis matches as tough as cage fighting: MurrayJune 26th, 2010 - 7:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun 26 (ANI): British No.1 Andy Murray has said that matches on the tennis court are as tough as cage fighting, and added that is why he spends so much time in the gym and on the running track.
The biggest story of Wimbledon 2010 has been John Isner’s astonishing 70-68 final-set win over Nicolas Mahut, the longest tennis match in history.
The world No.4, who takes on Gilles Simon in the third round, said: “Mahut-Isner was an amazing match and to keep your concentration for that long is not that easy.”
“For me, tennis is, along with boxing, UFC and cage fighting, one of the toughest sports in the world. Obviously, there are differences. The training side is totally different. They have to train like animals and be so professional with diet, weight and all those things.
“But everything that went on in that match the other night was great for tennis. I know how tough it is to be a tennis player and how much work you have to put in if you want to be at the top of the game. No other sport would see you play for 10 hours,” he said.
Murray has certainly been able to preserve his energy levels here, winning both of his matches in straight sets, The Sun reports.
Murray has won his last three clashes with Simon. (ANI)
- Isner triumphs as marathon match finally ends (Lead) - Jun 25, 2010
- Marathon match finally ends with Isner victory - Jun 24, 2010
- Murray's fairytale Wimbledon victory fit for a Queen - Jun 24, 2010
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Longest match in history winner exits Wimbledon in shortest yet! - Jun 26, 2010
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Wimbledon: Cautious Nadal on guard as right knee worrisome - Jun 27, 2010
- Belgian rivals set up fourth-round showdown, Isner crashes - Jun 26, 2010
- Longest tennis match suspended after 10 hours - Jun 24, 2010
- 'Wimbledon has brought the best out in me': Murray - Jun 28, 2010
- Djokovic wins Rogers Cup, eyes US Open - Aug 13, 2012
- Fish to face Isner in final after Roddick's knockout - Jul 25, 2010
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Murray reaches second round at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Nadal to be Murray's likely semi-final opponent at Wimbledon - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: andy murray, animals, clashes, concentration, diet, energy levels, gilles simon, john isner, london, nicolas mahut, running track, sets the sun, straight sets, tennis court, tennis match, tennis player, top of the game, toughest sports, ufc, wimbledon