Tendulkar’s 50th Test ton halts Proteas victory march (Lead)December 20th, 2010 - 12:12 am ICT by IANS
Centurion, Dec 19 (IANS) India’s Sachin Tendulkar reached the milestone of 50 Test centuries Sunday, delaying the South African victory march on the fourth day of the the first cricket Test. The hosts, however, are two wickets away from wrapping up the match.At stumps, India reached 454 for eight in their second innings with Tendulkar (107) and Mahendra Singh Dhoni (90) scoring 172 runs for the seventh wicket.
But India quickly lost two wickets when Dhoni, who hit 14 fours in his counter-attacking 106-ball knock, was dismissed be Dale Steyn (3-103), and Paul Harris (2-88) followed with Harbhajan Singh’s wicket.
India, who were all out for 136 in the first innings, still trail by 30 runs.
Tendulkar was batting with S. Sreesanth (3) when bad light stopped play with clouds hovering over the ground.
India would pray for the weather gods to intervene Monday.
Tendulkar and Dhoni kept India afloat after India were looking down the barrel at 277 for six.
India lost four wickets in the morning session and defeat was looming large at lunch when they were 277 for six, but Dhoni led the fight back with a punishing knock while Tendulkar remained solid at the other end.
At tea, India reached 394 for six with Tendulkar and Dhoni raising an an unbeaten 117-run partnership.
One of the biggest moment in Test history came after tea in the 114.3 over of the Indian innings when Tendulkar drove Steyn through the covers to complete his half-century of centuries. This hundred, the sixth against South Africa, came in 196 balls with 12 fours and one six. It was also his seventh century of the year. The 50 centuries have been compiled in a career spanning two decades.
Tendulkar entered the nervous nineties, dancing down the track to send left-arm-spinner Harris soaring over the stands for a straight six. He reached 95 with that shot and then spent some anxious moments, consuming 16 more balls to reach the three-figure mark. Dhoni even survived a run-out chance as he came half way down the track from the non-striker’s end to steal a single and turned back to save his wicket.
When the moment finally came, Tendulkar raised his arms in the sky and looked upwards to thank the almighty - and his late father - and the Indian stands broke into celebration.
“I dedicate this century to my father. It was his birthday yesterday and I wanted to do something in his honour. I also thank all the well-wishers fans who have supported me throughout. Just keep supporting me like this and I will continue to perform,” Tendulkar said.
Tendulkar, who reached the milestone in 175 Tests, is way ahead of others in the list of most number of centuries. Australian captain Ricky Ponting is a distant second with 39 centuries followed by South African Jacques Kallis who has 38 Test hundreds. The other Indians in the top 10 list is Sunil Gavaskar (34), at fourth position, and Rahul Dravid (31) at seventh place.
Earlier, resuming at 190 for two, India lost night watchman Ishant Sharma to Dale Steyn at the score of 214.
Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, who was looking good to play a long innings, added 28 runs before the latter edged a Morne Morkel delivery and wicketkeeper Mark Boucher pouched the catch safely.
Left-arm seamer Lonwabo Tsotsobe removed VVS Laxman, who offered a thick edge to AB de Villiers at gully. Suresh Raina followed soon, snared by Jacques Kallis.
- Tendulkar first to score 50 Test centuries (Lead) - Dec 19, 2010
- Gambhir, Tendulkar lead India's fight-back against South Africa (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- Tendulkar, Dhoni keep India afloat at Centurion (Tea report) - Dec 19, 2010
- India hands landslide innings win to South Africa in Centurion Test - Dec 20, 2010
- India lose Sehwag, Dravid early against South Africa (Tea Report) - Jan 03, 2011
- India in dire straits against South Africa (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Gambhir helps India secure a draw in third Test, India level series (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2011
- Steyn's 4-36 reduces India to 168/6 (Tea report) - Dec 26, 2010
- Dravid stands tall with another century (Lunch report) - Aug 21, 2011
- Dravid scores century, India falter again (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- South Africa tighten noose around India (Luch report) - Dec 19, 2010
- Tea scoreboard: India vs South Africa, Second Test, Day one - Dec 26, 2010
- Scoreboard: India vs South Africa, Second Test, Day one - Dec 26, 2010
- Dravid scores 35th century, India follow on (Tea report) - Aug 21, 2011
- Tendulkar, Harbhajan deny Steyn (Tea report) - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: african victory, anxious moments, centurion, cricket test, dale steyn, four wickets, harbhajan singh, left arm, mahendra singh, milestone, morning session, nervous nineties, paul harris, s sreesanth, sachin tendulkar, stumps, test history, victory march, weather gods, wicket